spelt

francis

hi

has anyone tried baking using spelt/rice flour? whats the results and what to look out for when using these kinds of flour low in gluten?

thanks.

Category: 
up
249 users have voted.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 7

Many thanks, Bill, you have astounding sleuthing skills! I stumbled into that site a few months back and forgot to bookmark it, couldn't find it again. I remember you have to order in bulk.

Going to look now.......

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 7

Had a good look at the flours. My head is reeling from the ridiculous names they assign to their flours.

1. Not organic. Sigh.

2. The flours are sold in 25kgs. Not a big problem if I'm selling bread.

3. After knocking off the bleached flours (egad!), I'm left with around 4 or 5 flours with dubious bleach quality. I don't compromise on this.

4. Extremely cheap...if I can just get past the non-organicness of it.

Will contact them.

donyeokl's picture
donyeokl 2006 July 7

Hi TP,

[quote]
where can I find it in Singapore? Health stores? Would appreciate specific names, tks.
[/quote]

As mentioned by Francis, the other brand available is Bob's Red Mill from the US. It's more expensive than the Dovefarm Francis mentioned. You can get the Bob's ones at selected Cold Storage, Marketplace, Carrefour and some organic shops... Just drop me a message if you are down south, will be able to assist if you need.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 7

Tks, guys. Will do that.

I've written to Tesco, and they said they'll be bringing in the Tesco line of organic stuff in the near future. I'm not holding my breath.

francis 2006 July 9

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4191-2/DSC01045.JPG[/img]

I used some rye, spelt and bread flour for this. Was not brave enought to use 100% spelt just in case i screw up

Smell good. Even from a distance. Had a tinge of sourness to it and it went well with my tomato soup on this wet sunday morning.

btw tp, i use a mac and iam still trying to find out how to paste the photo here instead of having that link.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 9

Ahh....Maedi sensed my 'waves'. Francis, I was just thinking you should ask him.

Looks like you're going to be using a lot of spelt in future!

forno 2006 June 28

I havent had a go at this, but my father is a great fan(bought not baked) as he had some words about it being one of the oldest crops that man has grown.

I saw some spelt flour on high street preston if you need to find it, just before Normaby rd on the city side. the shop is called "fresh on high" or somthing like that, sell lots of flours and nuts etc

donyeokl's picture
donyeokl 2006 July 7

Hi Francis,

I have just baked a mini loaf using 100% spelt flour...
[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/donyeokl/spelt.jpg[/img]

The bread has a wonderful aroma, its light, soft and fine textured... something quite different with a soft crust instead of the thick chewy ones. Has a nutty and earthy taste coupled with a tinge of buckwheat honey which I added to replace sugar.
It's currently a yeasted recipe(apologies guys, slight deviation from the norm) . I will try my luck at converting it into a poolish or sourdough one in the days to come...

francis 2006 July 7

hi don

looks good. am thinking of doing it this wkend. my approach would be spelt with some bread flour. what would you recommend for the recipe?

thanks

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 7

Yum! I love spelt too. Guys, where can I find it in Singapore? Health stores? Would appreciate specific names, tks.

francis 2006 July 7

Hi TP

I get mine at Brown Rice Paradise. I think some Cold Storage/Jasons may carry it. I get a 10% at Brown Rice. They carry organice flours, etc... If u want to get some when ure down in Singa, let me know.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 June 28

Yup, spelt is a very ancient flour. Apparently, it can be safely consumed by people with celiac disease.

Last year, I got a bag of [url=http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=365]this[/url]when I was in LA; used it like wholemeal flour to give a dense bread...nice earthy flavour. If you want a lighter bread, you can always mix 1:1 with strong plain or even regular plain flour.

I've also used rice flour in bread...but that was because I happened to be out of flours at that time, so I had to scrounge around the kitchen for remnant bits of flours. The bread ended up with such a hybrid of flours that I really can't tell you what effect rice flour have on bread.

Go for it, Francis!

Already a member? Login