Hi all! I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but could really use advice. I wish I had come across this blog DAYS ago, it would probably have saved me a bunch of time and flour :-) I'm on my 3rd attempt to make starter from scratch, and ran into what I THOUGHT was a big problem - starter that on the 3rd day started to develop a vomit smell, and what I've now learned was a slight layer of "hooch" on top on the 4th day along with the vomit smell. This happened to me on the previous two attempts, which I unknowingly diagnosed as failure because of the smell. This time, I decided to proceed on, and I stirred in the hooch and found the starter to be super liquidy. I fed it, but with all the flour and only about a third of the water I WOULD have done on day 4. I covered it and am letting it sit (been about 15 hours now). I just looked at it, and it has bubbles all under the surface and today smells pleasantly yeasty (so far). I don't know what the consistency is, as I haven't stirred/fed it yet today. Now I don't know what I should do.
1) Should I maybe proceed with this blog's instructions starting like on Day 5 (which appears to sound as close to what I now have), or what?
2) I didn't start with SourDom's recipe, as I hadn't found this blog, but started with strictly a mixture of 4oz unbleached white flour, 4oz filtered water each day.
3) Should I start with this blog's Day 5?
4) Should I switch to part white, part rye flour when I feed?
5) What consistency am I aiming for?
So many questions, I know, sorry.... Any advice would be highly appreciated! BTW, I am in Texas where the temp in the house is normally about 75F-77F, air conditioned.
Thank you so much!
P.S. tried to upload a photo of my starter but for some reason, keep getting error..