Inspirational sour dough books

jennifer

Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you could help me.
I have a good friend who is a baker and who is currently trying to start his own sour dough bakery. He has been out of baking for a couple of years, and I think he may have lost his confidence.

this is a life long dream of his and I would love to see him achieve it. I know some good books about baking sour dough breads would get him enthusiastic about it again, and I was wondering if anyone could recomend any, as I have no idea what to buy him because I know nothing about bread.

Thankyou for your help.

Category: 
up
276 users have voted.

Replies

nina 2007 July 25

I only have two books on baking with sourdough, but both are really outstanding and inspirational in their own way:
[url=http://astore.amazon.com/sourdougcomau-20/detail/1840009667/103-2388162-0850241]The Handmade Loaf[/url] by Dan Lepard
and [url=http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Bakers-Book-Techniques-Recipes/dp/0471168572/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2388162-0850241?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185366302&sr=8-1]Bread[/url] by Jeffrey Hamelman.
'Bread' is really thourough and has a chapters on sourdough, rye, as well as breads made with yeasted preferments. And lots of info on technique. As your friend is already a baker I'm thinking a book like this would be intersting for him - so much knowledge,experience as well as tradition in this book.
'The Handmade Loaf' is the one that got me started on sourdough, it's very beginner-friendly and has loads of great recipes - and beautiful photographs. I like how Dan Lepard makes sourdough look so simple and straight-forward, where as other books I've come across has made me never want to try out this complicated sourdough business!

jennifer 2007 July 26

Nina thanks for your help, I will definately look into those books,

some others that have been recommended have been "the Taste of Bread" by Raymond Calvel, "The Bread Bakers Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart, "World sourdoughs from Antiquity" by Ed Wood, and "Stalking the wild yeast" by Nancy silverton.

If anyone has heard about or read these books could they let me know which ones are good and most appropriate for someone who is already a baker, but hasn't baked ina while, thanks very much,
mary

chembake 2007 July 26

The Calvels book The taste of bread is not purely sourdough in content but includes also bakers yeast formulation; however its recipe format is more suited for the bakery professional.
However
The technical content is somewhat "romanticised" in some areas with a hint of snobbish attitude to modern baking .....

Meanwhile the others IMO are more suited for the amateurs......and those who want a good reading material about bread and sourdough baking

Panevino 2007 August 19

A book that I found helpful, informative and interesting is "Handbook of Dough Fermentations" by Karel Kulp and Klauss Lorenz.

Cheers

Tony

Already a member? Login