Easter Monday

SourDom

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/7904-1/DCP_2368_1_.jpg[/img]

a few different loaves made from my pain au levain formula (with a mixture of unbleached Kialla, 00 flour, and a little wholemeal spelt), as well as a mixed wholegrain (barley, rye and wheat grains, with again a mix of flours - unbleached white, rye and spelt)

made for a great picnic...

cheers
Dom

Category: 
up
255 users have voted.

Replies

SourDom 2007 April 11

it'd have to be a good aussie bakery with a boomerang baguette like the one on the left...

TP - do you like the Kialla flour?

Dom

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2007 April 11

Well, it certainly has been giving me fine bread. I love scooping out flour from the sack, and watching the level go lower each day.

I need your help, Dom. They (the organic folks, not quite flour experts) tell me that the protein level is 13 plus %?? It says on the sack 'plain flour', not bread flour or strong flour (I ordered bread flour). I'm thinking of getting a softer flour for cakes but 25kg (their minimum for me to enjoy a 20-30% discount) will take a long time for me to finish. Do you reckon I can use this 'plain flour' to make cakes as well? I did use it to make Dan's simnel cake but then the recipe says to use strong flour. I know they have another flour called cake/pastry flour, but, if possible, I don't want to buy too much. What are the various Kialla flours they have there?

Was too busy admiring the ears that I didn't notice the curve....

SourDom 2007 April 11

my memory of the unbleached plain flour from Kialla is that it is 10% protein, which makes it a fairly low protein flour. If so, then presumably you could certainly use it for cakes.

They have some 'high gluten' white flour, but I have never used it (can't justify the 25kg bag).

There is also an 80% extraction flour, marketed as 'unbleached plain flour with increased bran' - which I have used recently, and found to be a fantastic flour for white loaves (and hot cross buns...!!)

You could email the Kialla folks
http://www.kiallafoods.com.au/contact.asp

cheers
Dom
(on night shift again)

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2007 April 11

Thanks for the link!

Take some cat naps, if possible. Help lots. The chinese would take lots of herbal drinks to cool down the 'false heat' from overniters.

Nite....er....morning.

Pab's picture
Pab 2007 April 11

That's a fine looking bake, Dom.

Starting to do bigger batches myself for various reasons - personally, I can't seem to work out the rotating of them into the oven. Managed three smallish loaves the other day in the oven at the same time and that's a record!

Pete

carla's picture
carla 2007 April 14

I can see a little mailorder baking shop forming before my very eyes here TP! Complete with starter cultures, seeds and flours, recipes, a messageboard, online ordering ...

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2007 April 14

Carla....you're too funny. Indeed, I wish I had a great entrepeneurial sense like that. As it is, I'm just a romantic.

SourDom 2007 April 14

Pete,

you are right, it was tricky doing all of those loaves. I have two stones, so can bake two breads at once, or more if they can fit on one stone. The stones aren't that wide, though, so the round loaf above got pushed to the back, and consequently got seriously bronzed on one side.

It would be easier with a wider stone, but I have never managed to find one.

cheers
Dom

Pab's picture
Pab 2007 April 15

Dom

A lot of us here bake bread on unglazed terracotta tiles which are very cheap and can be bought cut to any size. Need to make sure that you leave enough room for the heat to circulate around them though. They are my favoured baking stone actually. I had two but they both broke (eventually) so I am back on my pizza stone.

I don't object to the occasional scorch mark if it gets a bigger bake done.

Pete

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2007 April 15

See if you can buy a pizza stone from Fisher and Paykel as a spare part. The stone that came with my oven is great.

Already a member? Login