Posting sourdough starter overseas

Normbake

Hi all I want to send some sourdough starter to New Zealand does anyone have any tips, do I have to dry it first or can it be sent in a small zip sealed bag.
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas
Regards Normbake

Category: 
up
281 users have voted.

Replies

carla's picture
carla 2006 December 6

Normbake do not even try - except you have too much money and too much sourdough, as it will most likely end up in the incinerator.

Even if you declare it as "sourdough" on your green sticker, MAF will class it as a "New Organism" and it will go to Erma.

The [b]minimum[/b] fee to get a "new organism" approved by Erma was at last count $3000 if I remember rightly (that was some years back).
And who are you to say it is "only sourdough"??
[size=7]Can you detect a little cynicism here ?[/size]

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 December 6

[quote="carla"]
Normbake do not even try - except you have too much money and too much sourdough, as it will most likely end up in the incinerator.

Even if you declare it as "sourdough" on your green sticker, MAF will class it as a "New Organism" and it will go to Erma.

The [b]minimum[/b] fee to get a "new organism" approved by Erma was at last count $3000 if I remember rightly (that was some years back).
And who are you to say it is "only sourdough"??
[size=7]Can you detect a little cynicism here ?[/size]
[/quote]
[size=7]slightly![/size]

SourDom 2006 December 6

really?

I have not had any trouble sending starter overseas on the odd occasion that I have done it - but I haven't tried sending to NZ.

(yes I would dry the starter first. spread some starter that has been refreshed and a bit overmatured thinly on greaseproof paper and let it dry overnight (or a day or two). When well dried it will just peel off the paper, and can be put in a plastic bag.)

Given how easy it is to make, and how light it is (to post), you could try sending it and seeing what happens.

cheers
Dom

Normbake 2006 December 10

Thanks for the advice I sent a package of dried dough over on Friday so will let you know how I get on.
It's for the M in L, I'm also heading over there myself she wants me to bake some of this nice bread I've been raving about.
Merry Christmas to all
Normbake

matthew 2006 December 12

Normbake,

If it doesn't make it and you're in or passing through Wellington drop me a line and you can grab some of mine.

Matthew

carla's picture
carla 2006 December 12

Or send me your address and you can choose between pure rye, sour as or friendly semi-white or fierce big-holed spelt.

Normbake 2006 December 14

Hi
I've made it to New Zealand am now in Auckland The dried sough dough made it through the post and is now in thr fridge I will get around to making it soon. I also brought some dried dough in and also some bread I had made I declared it and maf ok'ed so I was pretty happy. Thanks for the offers I'm off to Pak and Sav tomorrow will check out the flour
Its a bit cooler here than in Brisbane. Hey Bananas are only a 1 .50 a kilo have had some on sour bread very nice
Normbake

carla's picture
carla 2006 December 15

Glad to hear that you and the sourdough made it to NZ! Has MAF softened up or what? They are a bit worried currently how to uproot many hectares of GE corn which "slipped in" ...
I might still be able to order some of the 100 year old stuff from the US then?

[quote="Bill44"]
I'd love to tour NZ, but I'm not sure if I could handle the language.
[/quote]

Wot mate?

Already a member? Login