sugar 43 grams
almond meal 22grams
vegetable oil 3grams
corn flour 3grams
cocoa powder 3grams
egg white 25grams
water 2grams
vanilla bean scraped

First dough:incorporate all ingredients in mixer 1st speed 4=5 minutes,2nd speed 2-3 minutes(medium soft dough no gluten development) ferment 22-23c 12-16 hours
final dough: Incorporate flour, first dough, zest,yolks, vanilla been seeds, and half the water in mixer, 1st speed 3=4 minutes,2nd speed 2 minutesto develop gluten,Add half the sugar,mix two minutes 2nd speed add remaining sugarand mix a bit more,Add the softened butter 2nd speed til incorporated ,Add honey and remaining water in 1st speed until well mixed add raisins and citrus peel in 1st speed.
Divide into 500g;preshape into balls, Shape on buttered surface 20 minutes rest, Shape into tight ballls place in molds.
Proof:24=25c 4-6 hours. Dogh should reach 2cm below top of mold.
Finish: slash cross in top place pat of butter in opening,
Finish: Spread thin layer of glaze on top, sprinkle with almonds , pearl sugar, and dust with layer of icing sugarto form crisp top (optional)

Bake: 163 c for 35 minutes cool upside down in molds 4 hours!

Glaze: Combine dry ingredientsin bowl,Gradually blend in oil and eggs to form smooth glaze,Addd water mix till smooth.

Jeremy

Category: 
up
461 users have voted.

Replies

bethesdabakers's picture
bethesdabakers 2006 December 23

That looks great Dom - looking forward to lessons next August.

TP - My productivity this year has amounted to a mere eight quark stolens (half size).

But you'd both better watch out next year because I'm waking up. Plus, when I was in London a couple of weeks ago I was entrapped into buying Cresci. I was in Books for Cooks idly looking through the bread section not expecting to find anything interesting and there it was. So I justified spending £60 to myself by saying I needed it for my professional development. It's a beautiful book as well ...

Have a lively festivity.

Mick

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 December 24

Hi all her in Guayaquil, sipping some Jamesons and chomping on almonds, no Cohibas yet! Had dinner at this place considered the gourmet number one spot, sipped on Malbec from Argentina and had this great sarter of Corvina Tiradito, sort of a latin Sashimi with fiery chilies! The bread sucks here, but that is usually the case in tropical places, soft bread yeck! TP I pity u, especially since you and martin Prior are trying to educate in such hot conditions, whew it's humid here, but it wasn't much different in NY, global warming is here, maybe Graham was right to cook in that solar oven!

ta!
Jeremy

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 1

Tks, Jeremy. But, to me, that's completely undecipherable. Would be easier to read if you lose some columns of % since our posts cannot be presented in a table form.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 2

Tks, Mr Fixit! I'm getting some sprouting barley tomorrow. If my malting job is successful, I'll give this one a go.

Graham's picture
Graham 2006 December 25

There has been some interest from Europe generated by that review of the solar oven. A French baker friend told me that the author of a large French baking site (Don't know it, should have written it down) was blown away when he read about the concept. The solar design that we tried would be suitable for thinner baked goods...the flat and spicy Siena Cake would be just perfect, as well as flat breads and possibly griddle-style bread, like crumpets.

For those of you that have a celebration of some sort this time of year, Happy Celebration!. It is 2.16am and my partner and I have just finished putting out presents under a patch of sugar cane, dressed in flashing lights and tinsel. It looks pretty good actually. I will insert a photo soon. Graham

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/images/graham/cane_tree_MG_7627.jpg[/img]

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 November 2

Unhusked I hope?
I tried the other regular store bought and just got nasty rot, barley shoots looked sick!

Jeremy
Whew 80% that is hot for Panettone!

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 December 26

How creative is that!

As I speak, hubby is making plans with the resort-sharing people, arranging a March trip to either Melbourne or Brisbane....most probably Melbourne, seems there's no plane home from Brisbane for our dates. Which is nearer to you, Graham?

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 December 7
If you have no objection, can I request for the title to be changed to Panettone (and Pandoro) Bake-off? I'll definitely be making a couple of these together with lots of stollen to be given as gifts. Anyone else? I've an inkling Dom will be reporting in. ;)

Cheers (and I really mean it!)
TP
SourDom 2008 December 28
TP,

I hadn't forgotten,

here is this year's effort.

I used a recipe that Dan gave out at his Melbourne Italian baking class 18 months ago - giving a fantastically flavoured Panettone.
I made a couple in pyrex jugs (nice and tall and not too wide) and about 8 mini panettone in a muffin tin
Like previous times I found that the first dough (primo impasto) rose fine, but that the second was very sluggish. I added a tiny amount of fresh yeast, but the rise was still less that I hoped.
I think that the proving temperature is probably crucial for this cake, and I just don't have anywhere warm enough in the house

Tasty and popular, but I have more work to do for next year...

cheers
Dom

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 December 28
Thanks, Dom!

I'll be making mine for the New Year. Hope it turns out as beautiful as yours.

"Happy New Year to All!"
TP
SourDom 2008 December 30
FP

what a fantastic looking Panettone!
I am very impressed.

It makes my little efforts look seriously dense.

I don't think I am going to manage one for New Years, but I will have to give your recipe a try when I get a chance. I have bookmarked your post.

I too make my Panettone by hand (or with what Bill used to call the 10 pronged mixer)!

cheers
Dom
Foolish Poolish 2008 December 31
Thanks for the comments!
TP - Still looks plenty edible to me- Panettone bread and butter pudding perhaps?   Hope you found the recipe relatively easy to work with.Cheers,
FP
Millciti's picture
Millciti 2009 January 3
Really!

As good as any commercial versions I have seen!  Thanks for the new recipe post FP!  I will have to try it out soon!

Glad to see you here! 

Terri
SourDom 2009 January 14
FP,

both your pannetone and your pandoro are extraordinary.

Some of the readers of this thread may not realise just how hard it is to make breads/cakes like that. I have tried on multiple occasions to make Pannetone, and had a couple of goes at Pandoro, but never come close to your impressive results.
I gave your Pannetone recipe a try, figuring that perhaps the 4 hour refreshments of the starter would help. Although I had a little more luck than TP, the results were very similar to my previous experience  - a tasty but dense fruit cake.

The main problem that I have always found with this bread is that the 2nd dough fails to rise. I usually can get a good rise in the first dough, but the final dough with all its fat, eggs, and sugar resolutely refuses to rise as it is supposed to. Far from 'tripling' in size as you suggest, I am lucky if I get a 50% increase in 8 hours or more.
I had wondered previously if the problem is getting the proving temperature right. I still don't know how to get and keep the dough at 80-85F as you suggest. (Perhaps you have a proving box?) I used my oven at its lowest possible setting and the door open (turned off if the temperature started to get too warm), but it is hard to get it right.
The other thing I found impossible with your recipe was the final handling of the dough. You suggested rounding and shaping into boules. But the final consistency of the dough was an ultra-moist glop, like a thick batter. There was no way on earth that it was going to be shaped into anything except the container into which it was spooned. I don't know whether the Canadian flour/00 flour mix that you use is more absorbent, giving you a lower effective hydration.

Anyway - thanks for sharing your efforts - they are inspiring (if at the same time a little disheartening to lesser mortals)

cheers
Dom

foolishpoolish 2009 January 14

Hi Dom

I understand completely where you're coming from regarding panettone and pandoro. It took me four months to get to a stage where I felt I was in control of the dough (a lot of flops in that time).

If I had to summarise, in a word, the problems that are most commonly encountered with panettone, it would have to be - gluten. Either developing gluten too early or not developing enough will produce a less satisfactory crumb and also affect the dough's rising time/ability.

You mentioned a batter-like consistency which, to me, would indicate you're dealing with one of the most common problems: adding sugar too rapidly. If you're mixing by hand then 1 or 2 tsp at a time is pretty much the limit in my opinion. If the dough starts to feel like it's having trouble at any time - just walk away and let it rest for 10 or 15 minutes before coming back to it. Resting rather than intensive kneading is not only easier on the forearm but also good for gluten development in this case. Once you get the right dough development, I suspect your rising and shaping problems will also be resolved. (Shape on a well-floured surface)

If you are in doubt about the mix of flours, go for 100% strong bread flour. The 00 flour adds a certain lightness to the crumb but should not be confused for 00 pasta flour which would not be at all suitable in the recipe.

As for proofing temperature, I've been told that leaving the light on in the oven can give you close to 80F. By extension, I imagine that any enclosed space with a lamp would also work. In my case, thanks to a broken radiator, my current winter heating comes from a fan heater which I leave on a higher-than-normal setting, leaving my room plenty warm for proofing.  You don't want to exceed the upper 85F limit or you may get excess lactic acid  build-up in the dough (and the butter may start melting)

I hope that helps.

FP

Pages

Already a member? Login