Rye Again

Bill44's picture
Bill44

Three of my Rye loaves. I paid the price for my laziness, my oven will only hold two loaves this size so I normally do this bake in two dough batches about an hour apart. Today I just did a three loaf batch of dough and of course the first loaf in was a little underproofed and you can see the result in the photo, blowout.

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4649-1/new_Rye+Sept+004.jpg[/img]

Category: 
up
293 users have voted.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 September 5

Ahh...Baker with the enviable slashing skills. Would it help if you popped the first 2 in (as close to the correct timing as possible) and keep the 3rd one in the fridge to slow down the proving?

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 September 5

[quote="TeckPoh"]
Ahh...Baker with the enviable slashing skills. Would it help if you popped the first 2 in (as close to the correct timing as possible) and keep the 3rd one in the fridge to slow down the proving?
[/quote]
Good thought TP, but these loaves get a long first proof and then a short proof after shaping, this is a Dan Lepard method of developing the flavour. The amount of time the loaf would be in the fridge is not enough to slow down the fermentation. This method does not give a very wide time band of perfect proof, so I'll just have to be not so lazy. I expected this to happen but I don't mind burst bread, just doesn't do my image much good.

Croc 2006 September 6

bill they look great

what recipe is that? i refreshed my starter about hour ago so i will have it ready in a morning and might give a shot with rye bread.

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 September 6

[quote="Croc"]
bill they look great

what recipe is that? i refreshed my starter about hour ago so i will have it ready in a morning and might give a shot with rye bread.
[/quote]
The one in the recipe section Croc.

Croc 2006 September 6

great
just one problem, where do i get Molasses? do normal shops like safeway/coles got such thing? if not can i replace it with something else?

Croc 2006 September 6

google claim i could replace it with honey or marple syrop is that right?
or even firmly compressed brown suger?

Croc 2006 September 6

[quote="Bill44"]
Most supermarkets should have it, if not try a health food store.
[/quote]

oh good
what sort of section do i go for to find it?

Croc 2006 September 6

bread is on its way
hope is good enough to post pictures

i would love to see your crumb to see what it should looks like when all works out well

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 September 6

[quote="Croc"]
google claim i could replace it with honey or marple syrop is that right?
or even firmly compressed brown suger?
[/quote]
The recipe calls for molasses, but the choice is yours, you won't get the same flavour.

quote "oh good
what sort of section do i go for to find it?"

Croc 2006 September 6

if any smile should be removed is the rolling eyes
i find it pointless to ask at the shop, most of those kids at safeway only know where milk is located

Croc 2006 September 6

i'm glad i started early because without heater going its really cold in melbourne today
looks like will have to do bulk for around 5hours and 4-5hours after shapping

Croc 2006 September 7

i'm not sure what happen, i was sure that i over proofed (power nap went more than i planed) but crumb looks fine even at the bottom there is no sign of over proofing
taste and looks very good but it seem to be smaller than bill's loafs......
are those 750gr as the recipe or bigger? or maybe its just the picture, i got nothing to compare on the picture to guess size of your loafs

taste bloody good, i baked it in bit higher temperature to get more crusty crust.

the difference in taste rye on yeast vs sour dough rye is just crazy
as much i enjoy yeasted white breads or my fav white hybrids rye in yeasted bread is so "off" where this one is bloody heaven in mouth.

my mum tells me that traditional old country style polish bread would be pure 100% rye sourdough so this will be my next project.

Croc 2006 September 7

god my bread is sour as hell, will have to do something about this
i myself like it this way but my kid doesn't want to eat it.

it seem that most popular is my hybrid bread, every time i make it i find it is gone before it had time to cool down fully

Already a member? Login