I've recently been inspired to try making sourdough, so mixed up some rye flour & water, and thought I'd hedge my bets and did a wheat flour starter as well. That was last weekend.
Now my rye starter's growing mould!!! A very healthy looking mould (no, not quite what I was after!)
So is there any hope for it? I removed the mould 'pancake' and the starter under that looked okay so I kept a bit and fed it (new container, etc) - am I delusional for thinking it can be saved? Should I just throw it out?