Water : 325g
Bread flour : 385g
Rye flour: 15g
Whole wheat flour: 100g
Starter : 225g
Salt : 6g
A repeat on the #10 recipe with all the flours being from the same batch. This time the initial mixing/kneading process felt a lot better. Last time I had tiny lumps through the dough & water phase that were hard to get out. This time I used my hands (instead of the masher that I use most of the time) exclusively. Such a good feeling. It felt a touch less hydrated too. I’m guessing because all the lumps that I had last time were now not there and the flour was consistently hydrated.
I think this time there was one more “rest, stretch & fold” than last time. Ambient temperature was around 16°C. The shaping was a little easier and I was also prepared for the fact that it was going to be difficult, so it was stretch & fold then into the proving bowl with a little tightening/gathering of the dough once in there. This time I used a 50/50 mix of rice and rye flour on the proving tea towel. No sticking this time!
A 10hr retard in the fridge overnight with a morning bake. I’m liking this schedule.
With my poor slashing lately, I decided to use a razor blade to see if there was any noticeable difference to the box knife I’ve been using. It felt like there was. This combined with something I read here by Hugo about spraying the loaf a couple of times during the rise also helped give the loaf it’s look I think, which I’m really happy with. More importantly, to me, it tastes awesome! I’m thinking this is my best loaf to date:) It makes me want to get right back in there and bake another.