It's been a while since I tried something a bit different and I had a hankering for something on the sweet side to go with morning tea etc. So I went for a bit of a trawl through my recipe books and took a fancy to Chelsea Buns.
Now, this is in a book for yeasted breads, so it was with a little thought that I embarked on this venture to convert to a sourdough starter.
My reasoning was that if a recipe calls for a certain (pretty standard 15g) amount of fresh yeast and I typically use 180-200g of starter then that would be a fairly good substitute to start with. It was then just a matter of adjusting the balance of the ingredients (flour and liquid) to compensate for the contents of the starter and we should be in business.
In actual fact, this seems to have worked out pretty well.
They are certainly very edible and I will certainly make them again to improve my technique.
One potential problem might be the extended proving time which allowed the sugar in the filling to absorb sufficient water to liquify and leak out onto the tray. During baking, this syrup became rather toffee like and the buns were rather firmly attached to the tray. I did forget to grease the tray beforehand so that might have contributed to the stiction.
All in all, a good result. And perhaps not a bad guideline for converting recipes from yeast to sourdough.