everthing to know

phil

Hi all

I need to learn everything i can about sourdough can anyone help me please and what is the percentages about what is on all the recipes alongside the ingrediants

thanks

phil

Category: 
up
253 users have voted.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 March 25
Welcome! You'll find that most (if not everything)* you need to know about sourdough can be found in the forum...just that some of the links are broken. I've sent a note to mr fixit Maedi.

[quote=phil]what is the percentages about what is on all the recipes alongside the ingredients[/quote]

Those are bakers percentages, where the weight of each ingredient is measured as a % of the weight of flour used.....this way, you can easily see the hydration of your bread, and, also, it makes scaling a cinch.

Best
TP

* My sourdough journey started 3 years ago, and I still find there's lots to learn and thrill. Enjoy!

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 March 25
[quote=phil]

Hi all

I need to learn everything i can about sourdough can anyone help me please and what is the percentages about what is on all the recipes alongside the ingrediants[/quote]

Hi Phil,

Learn everything you can about sourdough? What you're asking takes time. If you ask one question at a time I'm sure there are plenty of helpful people here who would help answer your questions.

There are as many methods as there are bakers, but essentially the percentages represent the relationship each ingredient has with the whole and to each other, therefore easier to calculate either smaller or larger. It also enables easy assessment of the formula character for intelligent understanding.

As controvertial as this may be, [img]http://sourdough.com.au/modules/smileys/packs/example/wink.png[/img] later, (time allowing) I will post a simple tutorial on formula construction which may answer some of your questions.  

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 March 25

Like Danubian says, there are many types of percentages and what I mentioned is only one of them. Edit to insert 'generally'. :)

[quote=TeckPoh]

Those are bakers percentages, where the weight of each ingredient is generally measured as a % of the weight of flour used.....this way, you can easily see the hydration of your bread, and, also, it makes scaling a cinch.

[/quote]
phil 2008 March 25
Thanks everyone for your replies im will have a look all over the forum and i am going through so many books at the moment,all i am thinking of is bread.
thanks
phil
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 March 26

Love your enthusiasm. Read. Bake. Observe. Note points down. Bake. Take Pix. Bake. Show us. Talk about your bread. Bake. And share........

Good to have you here, Phil. Which books are you reading?

phil 2008 March 27
Thanks again.And i am reading alot of bread books at the moment and Dan Lepards ones,I have got the baker and spice one at the moment.
I am also writing down all my recipes into one book so i have got sourdough recipes and then recipes for yeast bread.Have you got any good books to recommend?
phil
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 March 27
Here you go... and here

and here (may have to do a lot of sifting).

I have Dan's 2 books (and The Cook's Book where he has a bread section), Hamelman's Bread, Reinhart's BBGA and Wood's Antiquity. I refer to Dan's Handmade Loaf a lot, for ideas, but I usually convert the recipes to fully sourdough. For some light science I go for Hamelman. I like Reinhart for his warmth.

This reminds me...I should bump up the books thread. Ta!

Already a member? Login