Bread Appreciation

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh
I'm thinking of having a basic session for friends, for them to really taste breads and learn to appreciate good bread. Most of us Malaysians do not eat bread for their intrinsic flavour but, rather, use them as a platform for fillings and spreads which become the stars.

Suggestions are welcome on how I should approach this. Should I have blind tasting? Commercial white bread vs homemade white organic bread? Have a variety of 'brown' breads? Fully sourdough breads?

What should I highlight as points to watch out for?
Chewiness and moistness of the crumb.
Intensity and pleasantness of the smell and taste.
Colour of the crumb....but I think I'll generally skip appearance for the time-being. LOL, I can't provide a perfect aesthetic example, anyway.
What else?

Would appreciate inputs. Thanks!

Category: 
up
223 users have voted.

Replies

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 March 5

this is how it all starts, teach those around you.

A range from industrial to artisan, sourdough to yeast fermented; tasting, aromas, mouth feel etc ... all the things you said. Of course you'll have to guide them as many won't know what they are to appreciate.

Give samples to take away.

Print out a few handouts with some nutritional "fact boxes" as well.
That's just for starters, others will chip in.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 March 5

Yes, yes...handout notes....never thought of that. What a great suggestion! And, yes, the part of me guiding them.....

Thank you.
[taking down notes]
doughman 2008 March 5
I think the inputs that you and Danubian have provided are great.  One thing I want to mention is that when you introduce a bread to your friends, introduce it as a whole bread and maybe explain to your friends what the ingredients are in that bread and slice the bread in front of them, so they could hear the sound of the knife cutting into the crust.  Cut enough slices to give to your friends to sample and ask them to smell the slice of bread, note the crust and crumb, and then taste.  I would not provide any butter, jams or fillings.  It might distract the taste of the bread, but you could provide it after the bread appreciation is over.  At the end...ask each of your guests what is their favorite bread and why.
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 March 5

However, sampling by the slice may be a bit too much for some. We have smaller stomachs here. :P Maybe slimmer/smaller loaves....hmm....
Croc 2008 March 5

make sure you get some quality butter for such session and time to have few very fresh loafs or rolls to taste.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 March 5

Good bread just need some good butter, if any at all....

...but ms sweet tooth here just discovered agave nectar....yum!..wait, wait! I'm not the one doing the tasting here.....:P

....and hubby just made 4 jars of The Best Marmalade Ever from leftover chinese new year mandarin oranges.
Bill44's picture
Bill44 2008 March 5
Agave nectar eh? Over here we call it Tequila :)

Good luck with the tasting TP, I did one on rice a few years back and most of the Aussies couldn't tell the difference between a high grade rice and dog rice.

regards
Bill
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 March 5

Too funny!

[quote=Bill44]Agave nectar eh? Over here we call it Tequila :)

Good luck with the tasting TP, I did one on rice a few years back and most of the Aussies couldn't tell the difference between a high grade rice and dog rice.

regards
Bill
[/quote]
Bill44's picture
Bill44 2008 March 5
Thanks TP, it did me good to read back through that thread, not wishing to moan but I'm going through a bad patch at the moment.

Already a member? Login