I've been struggling to get a starter started using the NYT cooking recipe. It seemed to get overripe too quickly so I started improvising with better results. Long story short, when I finally got what seemed to be a good amount of bubble (even though it failed the float test) I gave a loaf a try. Disaster! Goopy mess was all that developed. Soldiering on, I added flour and gasp! some commercial yest to produce an edible loaf.
All that to say I'm going back to the drawing board with my starter. There's a lot to learn but I think I'm going to keep a little of the existing starter, purchase a scale and give it another go.
Wish me luck!!