Loaf shaping

canadianmountaingoat's picture
canadianmountaingoat
Hey folks,

I can't seem to shape my loaves properly. I have not learned how to knead, or shape, I just do what the recipe says, or what seems right; but it's not working that well. My first loaves (see Spelt Bake off) turned out well, but there was a big bubble in both of them right at the bottom. Someone suggested it's a shaping error. So does anyone have instructions for how to knead and then shape a loaf? A video would be most helpful actually! I watched the Youtube video on mixing and kneading spelt dough. BUt that does not cover shaping... Any suggestions?

Thanks!

goat
Category: 
up
291 users have voted.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 April 16

sourdom made one on shaping too. We're looking for it.....it decided to play hide and seek with us during the migration.
Joseph 2008 April 17
I would suggest doing a round loafs as an alternative to a baguette. Round loafs are nice and easy to shape, plus they make for a great canvas to experiment and practice slashing on.
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 April 17
Actually, the above links are the ones I know of which exist online. Eventually, CMG will move on to these shapes anyway. Like I said, I think Dom made a round one, Maedi will go hunt for it during the weekend, unless I can find a way to do his homework.

CMG, if you have a library nearby, perhaps you could check out the books recommended in this thread? Dan's book has very good step-by-step pictures of  shaping.
canadianmountaingoat 2008 April 17
Thanks everyone! This is helpful. I see shaping a loaf actually involves stretching and tucking; what I've been doing so far (amateur!) is more fold-push-press! My second loaf turned out better in terms of crumb because it didn't have any massive holes in it, so I seem to be improving.

I'll see if I can get the books you recommend, TP, from a library.
cass 2008 April 17
Although I'm far from being an expert on such matters,
I've found the YouTube videos of the boys from Milawa Bakery shaping both round and ovoid loaves instructive (not to mention hypnotic)

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 April 17

Is it just my monitor or do you guys get the milawa clip disjointed from cass' post? Thanks for finding this gem, cass....how could I have forgotten it when I, too, was mesmerised by these pros forming those breads so effortlessly and with such speed! Wow.

You're welcome, CMG.
canadianmountaingoat 2008 April 18
That's all I can think of - mesmerizing is the right word, definitely! Their dough looks so soft and completely malleable! Is it white flour? I have to admit that none of the now 6 loaves I have shaped have been THAT easy to fold and shape. But I am also not doing anything like that they're showing! In the video, the baker sets down the loaf, then drags it towards him to fold it over, and then drags it in a round motion to tuck it in - my dough just wouldn't do that. So is this technique best for white sourdough? If so, what works for whole grain loaves? Do you use this technique in your doughs, even if they're whole grain? Mine have all been wild mixes of whole wheat, spelt and white, with white always being in the minority! Or should I let my dough rest longer between folding, or fold more than 3 times before shaping?

Very instructive! Thank you very much for finding this important tidbit!

Happy baking!

goat
surfingyogini's picture
surfingyogini 2008 April 19
Wow!!!  Mine don't seem that pliable either (although I've always been pretty stoked with the shape)  How does the dough get like that without being sticky?
celia's picture
celia 2008 April 20
I think it's time, Yogi, combined with a really high hydration.  But I'm guessing.  It's amazing to watch, isn't it ?
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 May 9
[quote=celia]I think it's time, Yogi, combined with a really high hydration.  But I'm guessing.  It's amazing to watch, isn't it ?
[/quote]

Celia, you are probably right.

Yesterday, for my tomato/wakame-filled bread, the bread was made from 1kg unbleached bread flour, 400g white starter (100% hydration) and 800g water with salt and bit of EVOO. And, yes! it looks exactly and I daresay it handles like the dough in the above clip. Initially, it was rather sticky but after 2 folds, it got easier to handle with oiled hands. Love the feel of it.
SourDom 2008 May 9
I have had a look too, and the tutorial that I wrote on shaping a while ago is still AWOL.

Maedi has been kindly resurrecting some of the tutorials, but shaping is still lost out there somewhere.
(Maedi/Graham, are you able to find it? It used to be called beginners-blog-shaping)

cheers
Dom

Already a member? Login