First time forum-er

cass

Hi folks,

am very excited to have found this website as I've had an interest in sourdough cultivation and baking for some time.

I'm in the process of making my third sourdough culture (sadly, I let the other two lapse into stinky yeast graveyards)from a recipe I found in the book Moro, by UK restaurateurs Sam & Sam Clark. It involves fermenting organic grapes in a mixture of flour and water.

It seems to be making all the right moves (bubbles, wine/vinegar odour etc) but is nowhere near as vigorous as some of the cultures featured in articles here. 
Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get it humming?

As well as this, I would like some ideas about how to actually prepare the bread in the lead up to baking - quantities, proving times, how to get the culture ready for the bread etc.

look forward to working with you all,
Cass 
Category: 
up
213 users have voted.

Replies

cass 2008 March 28
ps. I've been feeding the starter daily for about 3 weeks. It has bubbles on top every time I open the container but there are always distinct layers between the gooey, floury mixture and a watery top layer, with the bubbles on top.
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 March 28
I wouldn't be able to offer you first-hand experience on making my own starter, but, it would help those who try to help you with further info...

1. What is the amount of flour/water you add?

2. What water do you use? What flour?

When feeding starters, it's helpful to introduce air to the yeasties with vigorous stirring. By the way, it's not the organisms from the grapes you're after, but the ones from the flour...

Have to nip out for a while, will check in later....
cass 2008 March 28
I'm using about 100g of Lauke Wallaby Flour and the same amount of rain water each time. The recipe calls for me to remove a third of the mixture with each feed, but I've noticed others here tend to get rid of almost all of it each time. perhaps this could be where my starter's getting slowed down...
Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2008 March 28
Hi Cass,
Welcome, I don't think others get rid of their starters, they just use it a lot! Then feed them to get back in order!
Do browse and meet all the great bakers here!

Hey where is everybody?
Panevino 2008 March 29
Hi Cass, I make an 80g build with 8g of starter every time.   That's the amount I keep alive.  It seems to work.  I keep this ratio all the time - 100g starter becomes 1000g, etc.  With rye bases, I generally cut the starter in half - so 4g of starter gets elaborated into 80g, etc.  Hope this helps.

Tony
Bushturkey's picture
Bushturkey 2008 March 30

When you re-fresh, do you remove part of the starter?
The flour eventually breaks down to a gooey mess and has to be replaced. 
The goo still has yeast & bacterial organisms in it, but because the gluten's broken down, there is no structure.
It should look like a stringy sponge. I'd suggest you remove almost all of the goo (except about half a cupful) and add water and flour in a ratio of 1 water to 1 and 1/2 bread flour.
Add the water first and mix well, then add the flour and mix well and let the whole lot stand. If you've had ot for 3 weeks, you should have enough yeast in it. It should froth and swell in volume to double within 6-12 hours. It should be stringy.
I keep mine in the fridge and refresh about once a week.
I use it 24 hours after refreshment.
cass 2008 March 31
Thanks all for your input,

I've tried your suggestion Bushturkey and Boom! It's going beserk in there. Now all I need is a day off and I'll be able to give baking a try.

I'll let youse know how it all goes.
cass 2008 April 8
I've made my first tentative steps into actual baking, having nurtured my starter into life over the last month.
It came out looking and smelling the real deal, with a nice crunchy crust and a hollow-sounding, floury base.
Unfortunately it was a bit too dense in the middle, as if it needed 15 minutes or so more in the oven. I'm wondering if this could be because of proving times?? I let the dough prove for about 3 hours from when I first kneaded it in the morning to when I shaped it into a boule. Should I extend this or am I going wrong somewhere else?
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 April 8
[quote=cass]I've made my first tentative steps into actual baking, having nurtured my starter into life over the last month.
It came out looking and smelling the real deal, with a nice crunchy crust and a hollow-sounding, floury base.
Unfortunately it was a bit too dense in the middle, as if it needed 15 minutes or so more in the oven. I'm wondering if this could be because of proving times?? I let the dough prove for about 3 hours from when I first kneaded it in the morning to when I shaped it into a boule. Should I extend this or am I going wrong somewhere else?
[/quote]

Roughly, the dough is bulk-fermented for 3 hours (with fold and turns in between), then checked to see 'the webwork', shaped, then proved for another 2, 3 hours or retarded overnight in the fridge. Where does your 3 hours fall in?
cass 2008 April 8
I get the starter going overnight, then mix in the final ingredients first thing in the morning. I then knead it for 10-12 minutes and allow it too prove for three hours, folding at the halfway-mark. After three hours I shape it into the boule and allow to stand for about 45min while the oven heats.
I'm guessing this will have to change somewhat?
ps. Photos have been taken and I'll put them up as soon as I can get the time.
Bushturkey's picture
Bushturkey 2008 April 8
Hi Cass.
I'm no authority, but I'll have a go at being helpful! Let me know what you decided to do and what the ourcomes were.

I don't know what your ambient temperatures are. The colder the temperature, the slower the rise.
I live in Alice Springs and during the summer, temp is usually high 30's, occasionally low 40's and dry.The inside of the house is about 5 degrees cooler at least.
My bulk proving times (during summer) usually run at 4-6 hours, then another 2-3 hours after shaping.
From what you describe, it sounds as though you might be under-proving a bit. When you poke the loaves lightly with your finger, they should indent and feel puffy and take at least 15 seconds to spring back.
The dough closest to the crust rises first, because it's closer to the heat source. The worst-case is when you get a bubble under the crust, which domes up in the oven, while the rest of the crumb looks collapsed.
My suggestion: let it prove a bit longer - say 4-6 hours bulk fermentation,
and let the loaves prove for 2-3 hours (or longer in the fridge - let them de-chill for an hour initially, then maybe another hour or 2 if not adequately risen).
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 April 8
[quote=TeckPoh]
Roughly, the dough is bulk-fermented for 3 hours (with fold and turns in between), then checked to see 'the webwork', shaped, then proved for another 2, 3 hours or retarded overnight in the fridge. Where does your 3 hours fall in?
[/quote]

Oops. My bad. I failed to say these times are more suitable for my tropical temperatures of 27-29 deg C.

cass 2008 April 15
Hi folks,
finally managed to upload the photos I took of my first attempt. I just hope the technology all works...

cass 2008 April 15
Apparently it doesn't, must be the older browser I'm using.
I'll try again later from home.
celia's picture
celia 2008 April 15

I have to say my first prove is often longer than many - I'll usually allow 6 - 7 hours during the day, or overnight 8 - 9 hours.  I find even if it overproves a bit on the first rise, it's usually fine on the second.  My tribe like the loaves with longer rises actually - I find it improves the flavour.  Some people say the longer rise leads to a gluey texture, but I've never had that problem.

Just FWIW.  :)

Look forward to seeing your photos !

Cheers, Celia
celia's picture
celia 2008 April 15

Hard to believe that's your first loaf, Cass, it looks great.  Starter is looking very healthy...
cass 2008 April 15
I can't take all the credit,
had lots of help from all you good folk and the YouTube channel as well.
Who would have thought there'd be such a synergy between the new and the old...
cass 2008 April 16
[quote=cass]Here's a picture

[/quote]

For some reason it won't let me post photos,
could this be because I'm using a Mac? Anyway, whatever. See above for the link to my blog.
Maedi's picture
Maedi 2008 April 16
I've had a look at the code in both your posts which is correct. I think Blogger doesn't allow hotlinking which means images can't be put on other sites. You can use the Gallery if you'd like, there's a tutorial here.

I'm not sure why TP's did a disappearing act. The image could be seen initially?

Already a member? Login