I am a hobby baker living in Germany and have been playing around making bread from memories I have while growing up in Australia. I really love bread and was a sourdough virgin until a couple of months ago. However I will never go back!
I bought a 1inch thick piece of granite that stays in my oven and I preheat this for an hour before baking to get the oven spring when baking sourdough!
I made my own culture from stone ground flours and mix up the flours regularly to obtain a deeper flavour.
Started with the typical 35g, 15g mix.
This is a recipe for a sourdough baguette that really tasted very good. You can also leave the olives out to have just a lovely nice white sourdough baguette. It is enough dough for 2 normal baguettes or 3 ficelle.
What I have found important is to use flour which has a minimum protein level of 11-11.5g per 100g.
White Flour 1050
Spelt Flour 1050
White Flour 550
Rye Wholemeal Flour 1050
- Mix flours all together in a bowl then add the starter and water.
- Mix all together and then cover with plastic in a bowl and allow to autolese for 30 minutes.
- Turn this out onto a lightly oiled bench and knead for a few minutes until this comes together and is smooth.
- Let this proof for 2-3 hours covered in an oiled bowl.
- Pit and chop the olives in half.
- Turn this out again and gently knead in the salt and the olives.
(Here you can leave out the olives to obtain a crusty plain sourdough baguette)
- Cut into desired portions and shape into baguettes.
- Fold top 1/3 down, then the next 1/3 down and seal the seam with the base of your palm.
- Roll this out slightly and roll the ends.
- Place this into a couche (dusted slightly with polenta or semolina because this is a sticky dough)
- Allow to proof for a minimum of 6-8hrs. 12 is best.
- Turn onto a paddle and onto the baking stone. (Oven and stone preheated to 250 degrees C)
- Make cuts with a lame (razor).
- Add half a cup of water to a baing tray in the bottom of the oven or a skillet to get steam.
- Bake for 20-25 mins then rest of a wire rack.