starter week in a fredge, what best way to get it rdy for ..

Croc

..baking again?

i put it in a fridge bit late (it was at its peak)
good thing is that after being there few days smell went back to fruity

so my question is can i just do spoon of starter plus 100gr water and 100gr flour and use that at first peak or should i do small refresh lets say 50gr flour/water and than after than do 2nd refresh for the bake?

Category: 
up
166 users have voted, including you.

Replies

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 August 15

You may refresh but it's not necessary after one week, but mix before use.
If there remains something it should be refreshed.

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 August 15

I will use a starter with one refresh if it has been in the fridge for a maximum of three days, any longer than that I give it two refreshes.

Croc 2006 August 15

thanks bill

i was thinking (correct if wrong) that if my initial refresh will show normal growth, smell, etc... i could try to bake it anyway, right?

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 August 15

Croc, the best advice I can give anybody about sourdough is "If you wish to make good bread then there are no shortcuts".

One of the most important things to learn is patience.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 15

Ohmm....Ohmm.....Listen to The Wise One and learn to take life slowly. Ohmm......Ohmm......

LOL, I really enjoy the slow pace of making Sourdough bread....does that mean I've attained Patience Level

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 August 15

[quote="TeckPoh"]
..does that mean I've attained Patience Level
[/quote]
Look into the lotus blossom TP, what you see will tell you if you have.

lightningbolt 2006 August 15

all those 10, 45 and 3 hour intervals...I pack as much as I can into them. I already had a busy life before sourdough, now its insane!!

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 16

LB, use the fridge to your advantage to slow the process down. That way, you're not so tied to your baby.

Croc 2006 August 17

just like lightningbolt i'm bussy as hell
which is also why i wasn't as active around here for last few days
i leave baking for night time most days but this doesn't do much good to my sleep patterns that were already messed up

speaking of starter

with all white what volume jump is near peak? double ? tripple? (in healthy starter that gets refreshed everyday)

carla's picture
carla 2006 August 17

[quote="Croc"]
speaking of starter - with [b]all white[/b] what volume jump is near peak? double ? tripple? (in healthy starter that gets refreshed everyday)
[/quote]

What is an "all white" please?
Just white flour? No wholemeal?

Already a member? Login