Spag Factory

Bill44's picture
Bill44

Tonights tea, Fettucine with Bolognese Sauce.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4400-1/new_Fet+002.jpg[/img]

Category: 
up
211 users have voted, including you.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 27

OK...now's my turn to have problems with english. Why do you refer to your meal as tea? Unless it's for your tea-time. I know some Brits call their dinner supper, but tea? At night? Corrr....between you and Carol, you're both doing a lot of ad-jew-cate-ting.

Great job with the pasta. Don't just tease. Show it with the sauce. I can take it.

carla's picture
carla 2006 July 27

[quote="TeckPoh"]
OK...now's my turn to have problems with english. Why do you refer to your meal as tea? Unless it's for your tea-time. I know some Brits call their dinner supper, but tea? At night? Corrr....between you and Carol, you're both doing a lot of ad-jew-cate-ting.
[/quote]

"Tea" needs getting used to - especially when you get invited for tea at five. Most Europeans would think of a cup of tea and some cake. But no. It's a full dinner you are invited to at 5 in the afternoon!!

When you look a bit aghast at that they explain: "Cause of the kids..."

Found out later that children are supposed to eat 2 hours before they go to bed. So the whole family eats at 5!!
No wonder they start snacking at 7.30 and all get fat!
Those sandwiches and cakes you then eat at 9 at night cause you are hungry again is what is called "supper"!!

Worst one I ever heard though was "goat berry tea". Supposedly goat sh*t in water used as fertiliser. "You just make some goat berry tea and you'll be fine..." Yeah right!

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 27

Dinner is a word that is interchangeable with lunch or tea, yes very confusing.
The mid-day meal can be lunch or dinner, the evening meal can be tea or dinner.
We usually eat around 6.30-7.00, depending on the mood of the cook/s. Cook can be SWMBO, or me, or both of us.
I will try and remember to take a pic of the meal as served. In case I forget the sauce is made up of veal mince, pork mince, onion, garlic, carrot, celery, tomatos, tomato paste, white wine, water, nutmeg, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. It takes about 5 hours to cook so I make a big pot and freeze it in meal size batches.

If a you like, I can a puta upa da recipe fora youse to try. regards, Luigi 44

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 27

TP,

My parents used to call the evening meal 'tea', but I must admit in our house we call it 'dinner'.

But I know older generations called the midday meal 'dinner' ... as it was frequently the main meal of the day.

Bill can possibly expand on this a bit more than I can. (Oh, I see he just has.)

Bill, that thing you've draped your pasta over looks like a fine musical instrument! Much more elegant that my aunt's old clothes horse!

He is older and wiser!

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 27

Carol it's another home made contraption, you can't buy a pasta dryer for love nor money.

BTW last night I was Fritz44, I made Pork spareribs with sauerkraut and white wine, whole boiled chat potatos, and one of my little "bake at home" mini baguettes.

As you can see we eat pretty rough at our house.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 27

[quote="Bill44"]
If a you like, I can a puta upa da recipe fora youse to try. regards, Luigi 44
[/quote]

Thanks, Boss of Bosses! Onlya ifa itza on da recorda with de Administrationa, capeesh? Ciao. La Donna.

Oh...and thanks, guys. Now I've to think what to cook for dinner/supper/tea tonight.

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 27

Recipe would be great, Bill.

As soon as I saw the inclusion of the nutmeg ... I was sold! I put nutmeg and cinnamon in my spinach/fetta pies/triangles, too.

TP ... I just successfully extorted the recipe for the Trevalla Marinade out of someone at Mures in Tasmania ... just have to get my calculator out!

[quote]
Hi Carol

1kg garlic
1.5kg paprika
300gms coriander
300gms cumin
850gms salt
700gms hot English mustard
2.5lt Worcestershire sauce
5lt lemon juice
10lt white wine

May have to break it down a bit.

We cut the fish fillets in strips, marinade it, then toss in flour and
deep fry

Good luck

Kind regards

Gary.
[/quote]

I emailed back with ... "Break it down a bit? 1 kg of garlic and 10 LITRES of white wine? Where's the problem!"

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 27

Dis isa open talk, he gotta problem I send round suma da boyz.

INGREDIENTS.
3 TBSP of GOOD Olive Oil (Extra virgin ifa you have)
500g Minced Veal (or young beef)
500g Minced Pork
1 Large Onion chopped fine
1/2 Carrot chopped fine
1 Stick Celery chopped fine
4 cloves Garlic crushed
1 cup Dry white wine (Not sherry)
1 cup Water
2x 800g Cans tomatos crushed
4 TBSP Tomato paste
1/2 Tsp Sugar
1 big pinch of Nutmeg
2 Tsp Dried Basil
1 Tsp Dried Oregano
1 pinch Dried Thyme (nota da big pinch)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Maybe some a extra water ifa you cook a too fast and a dry it out.

METHOD
In a BIG pot put the olive oil and saute the onion, carrot, and celery until soft, adding the garlic just before the soft stage.

Then add both meats and the big pinch of nutmeg and saute until brown (more or less cooked) stirring to break up the meat. Then add the cup of white wine and the cup of water, and cook it at a medium pace until all the juice is gone, just the oil and any fat from the meat is left.

Throw in the tomatos, sugar, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and thyme, and about 15 grinds of black pepper, and 1 tsp salt. You can add more salt later when some of the juice evaporates.

Give it all a good stir and put the lid on the pot, cook at just a slow simmer for about 4 hours, stirring now and then. If it's getting a bit thick add a Little bit of water, nota too mucha. Always stir before checking because the liquid comes to the top.

If it's too sloppy near the end of cooking then take off the lid and turn the heat up to steam out some of the moisture. Before you do this you will notice the oil and any fat from the meat has come to the surface, scoop it off with a spoon.

When cooked, check to see if it needs any more salt.

This stuff freezes well.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 27

Yum! Thanks heaps, Carol! I see you've got great influence.

Lemme see *licking lips* divide everything by 10 ....Yes! Yes! I've got all the ingredients..............except some super Aussie fish fillet. Making me real hungry, mate.

Oh my, now Bill ([size=20]THANKS!![/size]) shows up with his killer sauce. I'm feeling dizzy.

carla's picture
carla 2006 July 27

[quote="Bill44"]
the sauce is made up of veal mince, pork mince, onion, garlic, carrot, celery, tomatos, tomato paste, white wine, water, nutmeg, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
[/quote]

Sounds like an oldfashioned Italian Sugo Bill.
Just omit the water and use more fresh tomatos or pomodori passata or p. pelati and chilli instead of the black pepper

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 27

Carla, this is a genuine Italian Mama recipe that I've had for about 45 years and I won't change it for anybody or anything. No offence intended.

I use canned tomatos because I can't get the preserved Tomatos that Mrs Montleone used to make, and I use dried herbs, even though I grow them fresh, because dried herbs work best in a long slow cook. Fresh herbs are great for quick cooking.

And here, by request, is the finished product, garnished with a good parmegiano and fresh Italian parsley. Will be washed down with some good red vino.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4402-1/new_Dinner+003.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4404-1/new_Dinner+004.jpg[/img]
Piggys portion is on the left.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 28

You think I'll just sit home and feel sorry for myself? Nope. I took meself and the girls to a Hakka restaurant and pigged out on a big portion of [i]Lui Char Fan[/i]....Thunder Tea Rice. You can see what goes in it [url=http://202.186.86.35/kuali/recipes/tea1.html#thunder]here[/url].

[img]http://static.flickr.com/65/199623227_b17b41bcae.jpg[/img]

Your pasta looks delish, Bill! Hey...see how we're connected? Looky at the bowl in the background of my photo. Same design as your plates!

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 28

TP, in that design we have the dishes you see, rice bowls, big soup bowls, tea pot, little tea cups, and a big serving bowl.

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 28

Thunder Tea Rice!

Oh I want some of that!!!

TP ... thanks for the link ... I'll have to interrogate my local asian grocers!!!

I think we need a thread called "TP's Exotica"!

I love people who photograph the meals they order in restaurants!

Carol.

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 28

I have edited my Spag Bol recipe. I am just doing a new batch this afternoon and realised that I left out 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to go in with the tomatos. Sorry.

Normbake 2006 July 28

Sheeez it's 10.45 friday nite I'm reading these posts and youv'e now made me hungry for some bog sauce with pasta.
Could you use that sauce for a Lasgna...
I'm going to make a sandwhich
Normbake

Normbake 2006 July 28

While on the subject of food there is a website dedicated to airline meals

[url]http://www.airlinemeals.net/[/url]

Normbake

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 29

[quote="Normbake"]
Could you use that sauce for a Lasgna...
Normbake

[/quote]
Yes, just cook some of the moisture out of the sauce.

Already a member? Login