Sourdough flops

northwestsourdough's picture
northwestsourdough

Anyone want to see some flops?
[url]http://northwestsourdough.wordpress.com/2006/07/14/sourdough-flops/[/url]

It would be great if there were a flop gallery, don't you think?
Teresa

Category: 
up
272 users have voted, including you.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 14

But, my dear Teresa, there is ------> [url=http://www.sourdough.com.au/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=183]here[/url] and you even posted on it. Have you been skipping your gingko biloba intake?

Thanks for posting all those earlier pix and the probable reason why it went wrong. Brings a smile to my face because I can certainly identify with them...and, yes, we get a bit wiser from every bread we bake and, every thread we read (here and elsewhere). When we (still) get 'interesting and rustic' results, we sort of sense it was going to happen. Such a great feeling, being one with your bread. I'm a hopeless romantic, forgive me, chembake....and no, you don't have to comment on it.

northwestsourdough 2006 July 14

[quote="TeckPoh"]
But, my dear Teresa, there is ------> [url=http://www.sourdough.com.au/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=183]here[/url] and you even posted on it. Have you been skipping your gingko biloba intake?
[/quote]
Where is my gingko? I forgot where I put it!
No really, one picture isn't much of a gallery! I would like to see a gallery of flopped loaves by professionals like Bill, Dom, Jeremy and whoever else I am insulting by forgetting. I do remember a Flopcaccia by Bill, that was memorable. And Jeremy did have a snake loaf. It would just be nice to put them on one page for newbies to consult and gloat over. Don't you think?
Teresa

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 14

Bravo, Teresa!

This is what we need ... particularly useful to a newbie like me because you've not only posted the photos ... you've explained the problems in each case.

THIS IS VERY HELPFUL!

Brave woman, thank you.

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 July 14

Sour Yum,
Don't know but when ever I read your posts it's like that avatar is speaking!
Teresa, That was a gruesome display, but an honest one, usually mine find there way to the garbage real fast, not even a scientific picture or what have you! TP, CB was lurking, did you notice?

Jeremy

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 14

Jeremy,

I will consider changing it ... maybe.

OK ... well, given Australia's tragic banana shortage at the moment, I choose this. For now.

Legend has it that - sometime before my memory begins - my mother once baked a sponge cake that was soooo bad, she threw it into the chook pen for the chickens to eat ... and one of them choked.

I do hope my baking skills are somewhat better!

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 July 14

That is cute but I just meant it was an weird thing like the cow was speaking, I actually love the cow, would you consider bring it back?
By the way the best bananas are from Ecuador, my wifes country!

Jeremy

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 14

In Aus. you go to the shop and ask for bananas. When I was in the Philippines and asked for bananas they said "What sort?" I didn't realise I had a choice of 7 different types.

Bring back the cow.
Bring back the cow.
Bring back the cow.
Bring back the cow.
Bring back the cow.
Bring back the cow.
Bring back the cow.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 14

[quote="Jeremy"]
Sour Yum,
Don't know but when ever I read your posts it's like that avatar is speaking!
Teresa, That was a gruesome display, but an honest one, usually mine find there way to the garbage real fast, not even a scientific picture or what have you! TP, CB was lurking, did you notice?

Jeremy
[/quote]

Yup, Teresa is special indeed. I try not to let mine see the light of a camera.

CB was lurking? Fantastic! He misses us like we miss him.

Bring back the cow.
Bring back the cow.
Bring back the cow.
Bring back the cow.
Bring back the cow.
Bring back the cow.
....and chembake.

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 14

Cow.

I do hope you realise that wee, sweet, innocent girl-child was in fact me. Glad no-one said anything ... salacious.

Anyway, we had a cyclone in northern Australia a few months ago which wiped out about 80% or more of our banana crop. We don't import nanas because we have 'disease-free' status. (I'm sure the government will wreck this any day now ...).

So we've been paying $10-15/kg for bananas that used to cost maybe $2/kg.

And just when I had been looking for a fabulous banana bread recipe!

(Should have asked you, TP, you're bound to have one!)

Carol.

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 14

[quote="SourYumMum"]
Cow.

I do hope you realise that wee, sweet, innocent girl-child was in fact me. Glad no-one said anything ... salacious.Carol.
[/quote]
I had a suspicion that it was, but the gentleman in me won out [b]this[/b] time.
Nice to see Madam Bovine back.

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 14

[quote]
I had a suspicion that it was, but the gentleman in me won out this time
[/quote]

Oh Bill, you're so SHARP!

hahahHAHAHAHAHAHhahahaha.

Ahem.

I'll get back to dancing with my 4-year old son.

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 14

Sorry Teresa, but I think we have hijacked the thread a bit.
I've searched my files but can't find any flop photos, it's not that I haven't made any, I just don't tend to preserve them for posterity.

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 14

Yes, sorry Teresa.

I agree wholeheartedly ... a whole gallery dedicated to disasters would be fabulous.

nina 2006 July 14

Great pics, very helpful, especially for someone like me who's still struggling. Thanks Teresa

I'm sure I've posted pics of my extremely flat breads somewhere, but here you go again:
[img]http://home20.inet.tele.dk/desdemona/misc/x060614_panefran2.jpg[/img]
Hey, at least it tasted great! Still not sure what my problem was, but Dom suggested cutting into the dough to check for bubbles during bulk fermentation and this has caused me to shorten the bulkfermentation quite a lot. I'm also using a slightly lower hydration.

My worst mistake was forgetting a loaf in the oven for 1 hour! It was almost black and went straight in the bin. I just wanted to give it 5 more min and completely forgot about it! I'm never relying on my memory again! Thank god for timers...

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 July 14

Sorry Teresa, I just can't imagine snapping a shot of my garbage or compactor to post! Besides I liked the snake, symbolized that nasty bloke Materazzi!

Jeremy

northwestsourdough 2006 July 14

Yea, I liked the snake too especially since, if you looked at my blog, I had one too. Your bread that you post is so fabulous looking Jeremy, I would have to say, if I didn't know your were a chef, that you had your own Artisan Bakery. I aspire to have my loaves look as good as yours.
Teresa

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 July 15

Your too kind, that is a dream, and after an interview I had yesterday with Noel Comess of Tom Cat bakery, it may just stay that way!

Jeremy

Already a member? Login