Baguettes

Bill44's picture
Bill44

No these couches are not for sale.

We had a freezer full of bread so SWMBO banned me from the kitchen. Thinking that I might like to see if I could make some Baguettes with the soft crumb/egshell crust like the French make, I decided that I needed some couches. They are only half length as that is all that my oven will take.
If anyone has a decent recipe for Baguettes I would appreciate a copy.
As punishment for suspending me from baking, SWMBO is making me some new proofing cloths, some full size and some to suit the Baguettes. We bought some heavy white pure cotton drill from Spotlight for $5.00/mtr, and it shoud make good cloths.

If the picture is sharper than usual it's because old tightpockets bought a tripod.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/3948-1/new_Couche+001.jpg[/img]

Category: 
up
200 users have voted, including you.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 May 26

[quote]
[quote="chembake"]
ahh ...teepee.....TP......teaspoon. ..tech poh...I got it
[/quote] [/quote]

*cough* Not quite. Should be:

[color=red]Tepee[/color]....TP....teaspoon (? Fine...I'm on the small side)....[color=red]Teck[/color] Poh ( ain't technical at all )

chembake 2006 May 27

[quote]
Tepee....TP....teaspoon (? Fine...I'm on the small side)....Teck Poh ( ain't technical at all )
[/quote]

TP you are a talented person.....and had many skills and techniques for other things.( you make good versions of other baked products as showin in your website.).
Having said that then....many techniques for many things ....
Therefore TECH POH aptly fits ..

Anyway Happy baking TP!
Keep up the good work!

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 May 27

Tks for the words of encouragement.....you're making me blush from head to toe. I shall try my best to live up to my given name of TECH Poh. It helps a lot to be able to learn from experienced bakers such as yourself and members of forums like these.

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 May 27

I'm jealous now TP, Chembake has been fliring for so long in two threads and won't even look and give his highly regarded opinion about our bread
but he is right!

Jeremy

chembake 2006 May 28

jeremy, there is no need to be jealous
TP is still your gal

Its is just nice to find a lady with shared interests such as tai chi...and baking.

.I would like to practice pushing hands with her

BTW, the bread you made in the thread for whole wheat bread pics is nice !

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 May 28

Your welcome, but keep your hands to the dough!
TP be careful with the scientific fella!

Jeremy

SourDom 2006 May 28

no puns or innuendos
just bread.

I have tried Jack Lang's aforementioned formula a couple of times this week, once with 5g of vitamin C, and once with a smaller amount (1g).

I used the food processor as Jack suggests, (the motor seemed to survive), and my current white flour (wholegrain milling's organic unbleached bread flour).
Both times the results were disappointing with a dense loaf with poor oven spring, and heavy texture. I didn't take any photos, as I am reluctant to lay claim to the results.
It would be interesting to see just what the results would be like with some low gluten flour, and I may try that soon.

anyone else had more success with sourdough baguettes?
cheers
Dom

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 May 29

[quote="SourDom"]
no puns or innuendos
just bread.

I have tried Jack Lang's aforementioned formula a couple of times this week, once with 5g of vitamin C, and once with a smaller amount (1g).

I used the food processor as Jack suggests, (the motor seemed to survive), and my current white flour (wholegrain milling's organic unbleached bread flour).
Both times the results were disappointing with a dense loaf with poor oven spring, and heavy texture. I didn't take any photos, as I am reluctant to lay claim to the results.
It would be interesting to see just what the results would be like with some low gluten flour, and I may try that soon.

anyone else had more success with sourdough baguettes?
cheers
Dom
[/quote]

Tried a batch over the weekend with much the same results as you had, although a different recipe. Dense crumb although I had a reasonable, but not enough, oven spring. Next time I will eliminate the oil from my recipe, change to 10% protein flour, and bake at a hotter temperature.
Ah well Dom, where would be the challenge if we got it right the first time.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 May 22

[color=green]Very innovative, Bill, what handsome couches.[/color]<--- note the colour.

I was wondering why we weren't seeing breads from you. Thanks for sharing the latest on the homefront... this is one of the reasons I like this forum...it has a nice family feel (lol, complete with quirky members). Yup, one [i]must[/i] indeed listen to SWMBO and one will be rewarded. If only I get to wear that title in my home....

I bet you just can't wait to try out your handiwork! QUICKLY, EAT UP YOUR FREEZER BREADS!

p/s The tripod is an excellent buy, no?

SourDom 2006 May 22

Bill,

have a look at [url=http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=73591&st=30]Jack Lang's recipe[/url].

It is on my list to try (might give it a go this week now that the oven is fixed!)

You need a powerful food processor though. The last time I tried Jack's technique I thought that I had burnt my Magimix motor out.

cheers
Dom

chembake 2006 May 25

I have looked at Jack Langs recipe and found it suited for industrial bakery ?
It will likely shorten the lifespan of your food processor
It uses high speed mixing in the same standard as the Chorleywood bread process..

The twist is the use of sourdough leaven to raise the dough.
Not a typical artisanal way where the dough just mixed to a maximum of two thirds of full dough development.

Using 5 grams of vitamin C for less than a kilogram of flour is an overkill.
Its about 800 milligrams of oxidant far above the recommended 200 milligram maximum for such bread process..

Vitamin C has the tendency to toughen the dough making it bucky?The shape of the inner structure seems to confirm that the dough is somewhat overoxidized

BTW the last poster of that forum used bread improver which produces a more open grain desirable for such bread?
I think there no harm done with using such additive but only a bruised ego for a purist by deviating the natural methods of doing so?

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 May 25

[quote]
[quote="chembake"]
BTW the last poster of that forum used bread improver which produces a more open grain desirable for such bread?
I think there no harm done with using such additive but only a bruised ego for a purist by deviating the natural methods of doing so?

[/quote] [/quote]

You mean you didn't know 'the last poster' was [i]moi[/i]?

Before I got into naturally-leavened breads, I made breads with instant yeast and almost all the local recipes had bread improver in them. Since that attempt with Jack's formula, I've only used it again one other time...I do like to be a purist most of the time.

carla's picture
carla 2006 August 9

I guess with such nice couches Bill you might want to fashion somehing like [url=http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/med/11/25365311.jpg][b]this[/b][/url] to cut the final product on?

chembake 2006 May 25

[quote]
You mean you didn't know 'the last poster' was moi?
[/quote]

ahh ...teepee.....TP......teaspoon. ..tech poh...I got it

Already a member? Login