Death of the Bees: GMO Crops and the Decline of Bee Colonies in North America

Danubian's picture
Danubian
[quote]Death of the Bees: GMO Crops and the Decline of Bee Colonies in North America
By Brit Amos
The rest at [url=http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=8436]Global Research[/url], March 25, 2008

‘Commercial beehives pollinate over a third of [North}America’s crops and that web of nourishment encompasses everything from fruits like peaches, apples, cherries, strawberries and more, to nuts like California almonds, 90 percent of which are helped along by the honeybees. Without this pollination, you could kiss those crops goodbye, to say nothing of the honey bees produce or the flowers they also fertilize’.1

This essay will discuss the arguments and seriousness that affects the massive deaths and the decline of Bee colonies in North America. As well, it will shed light on a worldwide hunger issue that will have an economical and ecological impact in the very near future. 

There are many reasons given to the decline in Bees, but one argument that matters most is the use of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) and "Terminator Seeds" that are presently being endorsed by governments and forcefully utilized as our primary agricultural needs of survival. I will argue what is publicized and covered by the media is in actuality masking the real forces at work, namely the impact of genetically modified seeds on the reproduction of bee colonies across North America

Genetically modified seeds are produced and distributed by powerful biotech conglomerates. The latter manipulate government agricultural policy with a view to supporting their agenda of dominance in the agricultural industry. American conglomerates such as Monsanto, Pioneer HiBred and others, have created seeds that reproduce only under certain conditions, often linked to the use of their own brands of fertilizer and/or insecticide. 

The genetic modification of the plant leads to the concurrent genetic modification of the flower pollen. When the flower pollen becomes genetically modified or sterile, the bees will potentially go malnourished and die of illness due to the lack of nutrients and the interruption of the digestive capacity of what they feed on through the summer and over the winter hibernation process.

I will argue that the media’s publications distracts public opinion from the true cause which underlies  the destruction of bee colonies. As such, outlined are four major arguments which the biotech conglomerates (which produce and market GMO seeds) have used to mislead the public regarding the demise of the bees. These arguments include Varroa mites, parasites, cell phones, and terminator seeds.[/quote]

Category: 
up
236 users have voted, including you.

Replies

Fire Beard's picture
Fire Beard 2008 March 27
There seems to be another push towards getting GM plants approved in the UK at the moment.

For the past few years industry reps and scientists have been quietly rubbishing the public's objection to GMO's. Suggesting that it is wrong that the public's voice should be listened to as the scientists are the ones who really know about these things.

Recently on the back of last years poor summer and the current high grain prices they are now boldly stating that we have to embrace the use of GMO's. Other wise we are all going to starve and by the way because we haven't take up GMO,s the third world is poverty stricken.
Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 March 27
I may not be surprised if I ever learn that my conspiracy theory regarding the UG99 stem rust emergence,  GMO acceptance, and the seed bank project named the "Svalbard Global Seed Vault" on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen, were connected.

It's not beyond the pale to suspect that UG99 may have been conceived in a lab in Langley Virginia. Or the weather modification weapons the US military is experimenting with, which is largely ignored by the press and the UN symposiums on global warming, are connected also. 

Speculation on my part; I've no proof these seemingly unconnected events are part of a global powerplay for future GMO acceptance and control of global food crop production.

The facts however are that the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; the US agribusiness giant DuPont/Pioneer Hi-Bred, one of the world’s largest owners of patented genetically-modified (GMO) plant seeds and related agrichemicals; Syngenta, the Swiss-based major GMO seed and agrichemicals company through its Syngenta Foundation; the Rockefeller Foundation, are all behind the seed bank. They have also had a major impact and shaped global food agribusiness, through various project bodies and think-tanks.

JohnD's picture
JohnD 2008 March 27

"Dont have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

The sort of "conspiracy" you speak of is the way the global economy is now run, Abraham Lincoln was correct.....worry about the corporations.

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 March 27

[quote=Jefferson]

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous
to our liberties than standing armies. Already they
have raised up a moneyed aristocracy that has set
the Government at defiance. The issuing power should
be taken from the banks and restored to the people to
whom it properly belongs.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to
control the issue of their money, first by inflation
and then by deflation, the banks and corporations
that will grow up around them,will deprive the people
of their property until their children will wake up homeless
on the continent their fathers conquered. [/quote]

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 March 28
Interesting to note the author draws a parallel between bee digestion and human digestion of GMO proteins.

See this from the article:

[quote]".......the most alarming trait is that the lower intestine and stinger have discolored to black vs. the normal opaque color, Synominus with colon cancer in humans.

"......Could it be that humans are going through the same process with the rise of Colon Cancer? As seen below in the comparison of the healthy Bee and the unhealthy bee, it is obvious that the bees that are ingesting GMO pollen are having severe digestive problems, so severe that the disease is terminal.[/quote]

Already a member? Login