Fresh yeast and instant yeast

molifemo

What's the difference between fresh yeast and instant yeast ? 

Instant yeast looks easier to use but why people still use fresh yeast bulk ?

Is there a negative effect if I use fresh yeast to the dough in which  a recipe calls for instant yeast ?  Of course, modification for the amount of yeast will be considered.

As for instant yeast, I 've found that there is another package of yeast for enriched dough .  Does it have different types of yeast  from the yeast for lean dough ?

Thank you ,

Category: 
up
271 users have voted, including you.

Replies

LeadDog's picture
LeadDog 2010 August 15

Sourdough bread doesn't use fresh yeast or instant yeast.  You are most likely to get an answer in a forum that bakes with yeast.

bkhorramshahi 2010 August 16
Professional bakers often use fresh yeast. If you encounter a recipe that uses fresh yeast, divide the weight by 2.5 to calculate the proper amount of instant yeast to use or vice versa. Yeast in this form is alive and potentially ready to begin feeding and producing all of those useful byproducts. It only needs to be warmed to a temperature of 50 F or more to get this yeast activated and feeding. This is the reason why the yeast must be kept refrigerated at all times. This is also the type of yeast for which the old admonishment-never allow the yeast to come into direct contact with either salt or sugar-was developed. What happens here is if the yeast is allowed to contact salt or sugar, either of the two substances will draw the moisture out of the yeast, thus damaging it to a point where it may lose its fermentative properties. In some instances, the yeast may actually be killed. For this reason, fresh yeast is best used when making fresh dough on a regular basis. It is also widely used by those manufacturers who produce frozen dough. The reason for this is that the yeast cells will be in excellent condition, provided the yeast has not been temperature abused. Having the cells in undamaged condition allows the production of the highest quality frozen dough. By high quality, I am referring to frozen dough with a shelf life of 19 weeks or more. Fresh yeast plays a vital role in enabling bakers to deliver products that are of a consistently high quality. It gives also bakers significant performance, application and commercial benefits. Fresh yeast has these benefits: • delivers consistent and quicker proofing times • has “bread” aroma • is easy to work with • has less shrinkage • presents fewer process problems • offers improved texture • delivers consistent performance (less cell damage) • is a natural product • performance reliability • consistent, reliable baking results • quick proofing • ideal for no time doughs • also suitable for longer baking processes Also, the key benefits of cream yeast, in addition to those of compressed yeast include: • Improved yeast quality (because there is no downstream processing damage) • Accuracy of dosing (automatic flowmeters) • Hygiene and cleanliness (untouched by human hands) • Convenience (no double handling, automated dosing) • Productivity gains (less labour required in receiving and handling stock) • Better yeast utilisation (more homogenous mixing in the dough) • And most importantly, consistency (less variability delivering reliable performance) “Cream yeast also ensures less pilferage, helping bakeries to maintain costs,” In addition, as there is no packaging required, and it is also a more environmentally friendly option.” Behrouz Khorramshahi R&D Manager Razavi Yeast Company [email protected]
molifemo 2010 August 17

Thank you for all the detailed information.

I just wanted to know more about yeast and it's work in breadmaking.  I heard that professional bakers still use a little commercial yeasts in their sourdough to get a stable result. 

Thank you,

rossnroller 2010 August 17

Hi molifemo

There's some debate over whether sourdough bread spiked with commercial yeast even qualifies as genuine sourdough bread - and it can get pretty heated, with passions running high!

You might like to read through some of John Downes' recent posts:

Bakers Delight SD and Helga's Bread

Baking UK 09

Ancient Wheats and Flour

There's another thread from a few years back on this site that contains some very lively emotionally charged exchanges, but I can't find it right at this moment. I think it was another John Downes post, but not sure. If interested, do a search.

Cheers
Ross

crustybread 2010 August 31

Hi molifemo,

I think fresh yeast contributes more to the overall flavour of the bread than instant yeast. We use fresh at the bakery I'm at. As for adding yeast to sourdough, I am opposed, it just isn't a true sourdough if that is done. My experience with sourdough is that it can have a will of its own at times, you learn to work with it and truly appreciate those times when you have a perfect bake.

Already a member? Login