Adding vinegar, yoghurt and barley bran?

ratbagradio

I'm delighted with the unswerving loyalty offered me by my pet sourdough leaven.

But i wanted to change my baking recipe slightly and wondered what was the best way to proceed.

I want to explore two options:

1. Increase the bake's sourness (by rising its acidity). Is it feasible to add  yoghurt or vinegar to the bake before kneading (but not the leaven)without impacting on the yeast's environmental preferences too much? Some commercial "sourdough" breads add  vinegar   to crete further sourness while relying on commerical yeast to drive the rising.Rising the bread's acidity also imporves its Glycemic Index impact as it slows down the rate of absorption of the meal..
  2.  I prefer a white flour loaf but want to  lower its GI status a tad and improve dietary utility by adding barley bran. How much can I use without  impacting too much  on bread texture? I don't like whole grain wheat flour breads so I'm chasing a certain texture that is neither coarse but adds a slight nuttiness.

dave riley

Category: 
up
260 users have voted.

Replies

Postal grunt 2010 March 22

During February, I worked with several whole wheat loaves that included some low fat yogurt. I found that it didn't equate with the same weight of water in the recipe. Perhaps the whole wheat (25%)  was making my percentages go astray.

On the other hand, it did make for a nice, tender crumb as would the use of milk in the recipe. I would advise that you check the label for additives. Several brands looked like they had escaped from my brother's chemistry lab.

Dyer Baker's picture
Dyer Baker 2010 March 22

When I have available, I use home made Kefir in the starter as well in mixing the dough, whether I use white or whole grain flour. Conclusion:  Always delicious

I keep the quantities the same as using water !

Loafer 2012 January 24

I add a tablespoon of bran and yoghurt to alot of my loaves,it gives it a nice sour taste and a bit more of an earthy chew. 

Already a member? Login