I was running out of wheat to grind up and make bread with so I got 50 pounds of wheat from the local mill. This is a wheat that I had never used before and I figured I had better find out how the flour compared to the flour I had been making. When I was grinding the flour it felt harder than the wheat I had been using. There is also a really nice aroma to the flour after it is made. The flour made a really nice looking loaf of bread and seems to me it will even take more water than I have been using so next loaf I will increase the hydration to see if it can handle it.
The first evening I made up the first build of the preferment like this.
The next morning I made the 2nd build.
|Starter first build||60.89||47.37%|
I waited eight hours and combined the flour, water, salt with the preferment.
|Preferment second build||253.69||25%|
The water and preferment were mixed together. Then I went off and ground up my wheat into flour, about 30 minutes. I mixed in the flour until it was a shaggy mass, then let it rest 50 minutes. The salt was then added and the dough was finished mixing. I did three stretches of the dough an hour apart. Then the dough was put into the refrigerator over night. The next day I took the dough out and started heating the oven up with my cast iron roasting pan in it. When the oven got to temperature I put the dough in with the lid on. I cooked the bread at 460°F for 47 minutes with the lid on and 13 minutes with the lid off. I have already had a little nibble of the bread and it seems to be good. The crumb shot will be added after I cut the bread.