Hi, new to this board. I have been making sourdough with Alaska sourdough (supposedly from the Gold Rush days). Recently, I have relocated and my starter has been in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks in a plastic container with four layers of cheesecloth cover. Now, when I removed the cheese cloth, there is the gray liquid, but it also had three round circles of MOLD...I removed the mold, and some of the starter and added my water and flour. However, does the presence of mold circles render my starter inedible and dangerous? It doesn't smell all that good, either.
Please, any assistance to a New York City bread baker will be greatly appreciated.