TASTE

jackew

I have been baking with a starter that was supposedly started 50 years ago for about 4 years now. It rises the dough just like the yeast I previously used - about 1-2 hours too double for first rise. My question is regarding taste. It does not have any except for a slight sourness. I only store a half cup of starter in frig. I usually feed it about two times after taking it out of the frig - one part starter 1 part water - twice. I only bake once every week so I also usually use a 12 hour sponge. Should the taste be more distinctive? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

Jack

Category: 
up
204 users have voted.

Replies

matthew 2007 September 28

Jack,

When you feed it do you use flour? Your post implies that you only add water for your two feeds.

Regarding taste, to a certain extent it depends what you're after. Some people prefer a quite noticeably sour taste and utilise methods designed to increase acid and draw out the sour. Others (like myself) prefer a milder taste and utilise techniques designed to favour this.

What kind of taste are you expecting (or hoping for)?

Matthew

jackew 2007 September 28

I am used to the sourdough rolls that the local restaurants have. They have a very distinctive strong non sour taste. I realize this may be additive induced and not true sd. I activate the starter with ¼ cup starter, ¼ cup flour, ¼ cup water every 6 hours until I have what I need. Then I make a sponge with 1 cup starter and ¾ cup water and two cups bread flour and let it ferment over night. I get very good results and a very good rise, but was wondering about how strong and distinctive the taste should be.

matthew 2007 October 8

Jack,

Have you tried blending a little wholemeal flour in? Personally I like the taste that this gives the loaf. But taste is a very subjective thing and everyone's sourdough is going to be a bit different.

Matthew

jackew 2007 October 10

Thank for all the great input. From reading other threads it does appear some starter take 6 to 8 hour to rise their bread. Mine takes 1 to 3 hours. That is after a 12 hour sponge. Perhaps if I slowed process down that would allow more time to build flavor. I normally do not add salt until later in process. Adding it earlier would slow the process. I also use well water which does not have any chemicals that would slow process. It appear my problem, if I have any, may be more in technique then in the starter.

Already a member? Login