Flours in New Zealand

Jake

Hi all,
I've been away for a bit - moving from China to New Zealand. But am settled in again and have finally got broadband again (although we had to get mobile broadband because we couldn't get it via the landline - even though we're living in a town of 20,000; I guess that NZ's for you...)

Anyway, I'm having a terrible time trying to recreate the loaves I was so proud of in China at 2200 meters. They just aren't holding the air. As soon as I start handling them the air just flops out. I'm fairly sure it's the flour. Have any of you Kiwis out there got some tips for me? What kind of flours are available here in NZ? What strong flour are you using?

Thanks,
Jake

Category: 
up
277 users have voted.

Replies

matthew 2007 August 27

Jake,

From the supermarket I buy Elfin or Champion High Grade Flour at about 11% protein. But normally I buy a 20kg sack from a wholesaler, Weston Mills 11% protein, right this moment I can't remember the brand.

Treat it gently, and maybe experiment with proofing times. Not sure, but it is possible that the proofing time you're used to is not optimal for your new situation.

Regards
Matthew

Jake 2007 August 31

Thanks for that. I've just bought a bag of Weston flour from Moore Wilson's at 11.8% protein. I'll give that a go and see how it goes. But it's good to know what others are using.

Jake

carla's picture
carla 2007 September 14

Hi Jake,
I am buying grains from Ceres in Auckland or Chantals in Hastings (or was it Napier?) and mill these myself. I sieve a bit off if I want a "finer" crumb or even mix it with some white flour from the supermarket (Champion High Grade Flour). I have never had any problems, however I do not bake these airy loaves where you just have crust and holes

Already a member? Login