Thanks to Northwest Sourdough.

Bill44's picture

The following two loaves were made using the recipe from Teresa at Northwest Sourdough. I had to do a few conversions from cups to grams but managed to come up with a workable recipe. The only thing I've added is a bit of wholemeal flour for the taste I like.

There have been a few questions here and there about crust blister. With these loaves, they are at 60% hydration and spend 12 hours in the fridge, so they get a bit of a dryish surface on them. When I put them in the oven I spray the top heavily and repeat about 6 minutes later. I also throw 5 ice blocks in a tray in the bottom of the oven at the start.
Bingo, blisters on the crust.

9 users have voted.

northwestsourdough's picture
northwestsourdough 2006 March 22

Your bread looks wonderful Bill, thanks for giving me credit for the recipe.
I think the blisters look great and make the crust look so inviting. I had read that they were caused by the refrigerator fermentation, I hadn't thought that maybe the steam contributed. Seems like I am always finding out something new from your experimentation!

Files must be less than 400 MB.
Allowed file types: png gif jpg jpeg.

• Allowed HTML tags: <p> <br> <a> <em> <strong> <h2> <h3> <h4> <h5> <h6> <table> <thead> <th> <tbody> <td> <tr> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.