100yo+ polish country bread recipes anyone?

Croc

hi everyone
i run in to some seriously old polish recipes, if anyone is interested let me know and i will translate them, few of them are so old that i will have to translate them first from old polish to one i can understand myself, they were noted in original form without any sort of modernization and some use words that were not in use since WW1

i'm bit short on time (which is why you don't see me spaming here a lot those days) but if someone want to try some i will translate couple and post here.
my main target is all rye sour dough, that use bit different process than what we use around those days, also sour dough starter is made bit different way.
from initial look it sounds a lot like bread my grandmother used to make many many years ago so i be trying that one asap.

Category: 
up
337 users have voted.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2007 May 5

Croc, don't tease. Just go ahead and post a recipe. Better still if you 'show' the finished bread.

Hope you're keeping well.

Croc 2007 May 5

hey TP i got the recipes over week ago and only just managed to find spare minute to make this thread to share it with my sourdough.com.au friends
will take few days to translate, going to ask my mother what few words mean, she was born in small country village at the end of ww2 and spent over 20 years there so she should be able to help me with few words i don't recognize.
one of the recipes uses ancient measuring units which are not in use for well over 100 years, just reading those recipes make you droll.

there is nothing to show yet, will start with first recipe tomorrow

Croc 2007 May 5

i also got some recipes for old school sausages, even current polish sausages are the best in a world but this is the old real thing, only problem is that smoker is needed and non of those little portable junk but real deal smokers that let you do slow/cold smoking so that could be a problem for most of us.
i always wanted to build one but there is so little time in a day.
some can be used for grilling without smoking so if someone is game let me know.
and if done right you will never look at sausages same way you do now, as a matter of fact you will be very pissed off that for all those years you ate poor imitations of what real sausage should be

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2007 May 6

Definitly interested in the bread recipes, and if you get time for the sausages later then that would be great too.

Says he just about to sit down to a loaf of fresh sourdough and a jar of my home preserved marinated green olives.(Queen Kalamata olives )

carla's picture
carla 2007 May 6

[quote="Bill44"]
just about to sit down to a loaf of fresh sourdough and a jar of my home preserved marinated green olives.(Queen Kalamata olives )
[/quote]

Hmmm - last time I sailed into Kalamata harbour it was in Greece.
Has it shifted to Ossie now I wonder??

Pab's picture
Pab 2007 May 6

My young Polish neighbour (actually brought up on a farm where her mother made the bread but didn't teach her to) thinks that our sort of naturally leavened bread with a good crust is similar to what she remembers and what she misses most of Poland.

I promised that I would search for authentic recipes etc (and asked her to ask her family) - not much to be found on the internet. If she comes up with any recipes I will post them here.

I would seriously love to have your recipes, Croc! No hurry.

Pete

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2007 May 7

[quote="carla"]
[quote="Bill44"]
just about to sit down to a loaf of fresh sourdough and a jar of my home preserved marinated green olives.(Queen Kalamata olives )
[/quote]

Hmmm - last time I sailed into Kalamata harbour it was in Greece.
Has it shifted to Ossie now I wonder?? [/quote]
With the large Greek heritage our population has (Melbourne has the highest Greek population of any city outside Athens) it is inevitable that the influence of their food would enhance the otherwise bland English heritage food we grew up with. One of the enhancements is the wide variety of olives available now. Yum!

Croc 2007 November 11

[quote="Bill44"]Definitly interested in the bread recipes, and if you get time for the sausages later then that would be great too.

Says he just about to sit down to a loaf of fresh sourdough and a jar of my home preserved marinated green olives.(Queen Kalamata olives )[/quote]

are you able to smoke sausages? if not i will post some translation for non smoked sausages which you can cook right away or freeze.

nycgirl79's picture
nycgirl79 2011 May 10

I was born in Poland but I started baking in NY a few years ago. 100 years old recipe is a challange for me. I started on Sunday. Today-Monday- 27 hours later my starter is bubbling like crazy. The weather is great in NY now-sunny and warm. So I hope everything will be OK with the starter.

I wish to see more Polish recipes like that here. Where did you find it?

Already a member? Login