I am a complete newbie in sourdough baking. I have heard so much about it and after a few bouts of soft, fluffy bread that Malaysians like, I am ready to try my hand at making artisanal & sourdough breads.

I am wondering what flours I can use for a starter that are readily available in Malaysia. As TP has lamented, the variety of flours is really lamentable.

p/s TP, I came to this board through your website. I always love looking at your handiwork & have been going to your site ever since we met during the Jo's Deli gathering at your place.

26 users have voted.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2007 April 12

Welcome, Alannia! What a pleasant surprise! Be prepared to enter a very different and exciting bread world.

Are you going to make your starter from scratch? I didn't. My starter was sent from the UK...and I've been maintaining it for 2 yrs. If you want some, just give me a tinkle and pop by. I use organic unbleached flour (any brand will do)...because any other flour in Malaysia is bleached....bleeccchhh!

Have fun!

P/S Read every post and Section in this forum. Really invaluable help.

Alannia 2007 April 12

Hi TP,

Thanks for the welcome. I have always love bread, both eating or making it. I can have bread for all three meals every day. Most of the time my bread turns out better than my cakes. I know I will definitely enjoy my foray into sourdough. I have been reading up on Dom's tutorials.

I will check with my 'driver' whether we are free to pick up the starter from you. I will email you later.

Already a member? Login