Second Proof

Barry

The main problem I'm having is after the second proof. I'm doing the second proof in a 20cm round colinder lined with a cloth. The first time I did it I heavely dusted the inside of the cloth with rye flour but when I inverted it onto a baking tray and tried to peel away the cloth the top of the dough came with it. The next time I soaked the cloth in oil it was a little but still the dough stuck - what do I need to do to stop this?

Category: 
up
283 users have voted.

Replies

Jake 2007 March 25

Hi Barry,
I know what you mean! I had (still have occassionally) the same problem. I'm just using a plain old cotton teatowel. My approach is to put a [b]lot[/b] of flour on the towel. I rub it in and make sure there's plenty on it. My loaves tend to come out covered in a lot of flour, but at least it's not sticking anymore.
Apparently there are better methods: your use of linnen being one of them. Another one I've heard of is the use of semolina flour, instead of rye or normal flour. Or white rice flour. This might be a useful link: [url]http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/1979/dough-sticking-cloth-when-transferring-peel[/url]

Jake

Barry 2007 March 26

Thanks Jake, I've got some old linen that I'll try fisrt covering the dough with semolina see how that works.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2007 March 26

I don't have any sticky problems. I use rice flour on linen or in the banneton. As for the linen, I don't wash for around 5 bakes. I just take it out to sun after the bake. Banneton too. (Jeremy in the bg saying yucks).

rbd 2007 March 26

Hey Barry,

I wouldn't use the semolina on a cloth, probably too course [but then, I never tried it] I do get good results with rice flour, or rye flour depending what style of loaf I'm baking. As Bill said, Rub it in REAL good!

I use (fine) semolina to dust my peel. They act like a couple of thousand mini ball bearings, and the dough just sliiiiides onto the hot baking stone.

Happy baking.

Roland

Jake 2007 March 26

That's right. The people on the website I mentioned seem to reckon that rubbing rice flour into your cloth seems to work best. Although I've never tried it. Just plain old flour seems to be working for me here.

Jake

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2007 June 16

Barry,

Plenty of good suggestions above but IMHO of all the dusting flours I've used over the years I find rye one of the worst. I couldn't state the reason catagorically, but I suspect it might have to do with the higher content of soluble sugars, gums and soluble fibres in rye compared to wheat.

I find starch probably works the best, but its not always to my liking, as it looks out of place on some bread varieties. Other than that I find wheat flour the best, especially if you dust the cloth and rub the flour in between the weave. If you've dusted the cloths properly it does the job.

Good luck.

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2007 June 16

Strange the way things work for some people. I have found wheat flour to be the worst and rye flour to be the best.

Skua's picture
Skua 2007 June 16

Do you have access to fine milled corn flour? It is the best thing I could find. Rice flour is nearly pure starch. But flour of polished rice and starch reminds me too much of powdered sugar and cake.

Maybe the reason why some flours become sticky when they are wet is the content of gluten and slime developers (sorry! wrong word?) All grain poor or free of gluten and rich in starch works well. They become very sticky too (imagine japanese rice!): beginning at temperatures of 60? C / 140? F

No idea for semolina. Perhaps to coarse to become sticky?

Already a member? Login