What is your method?

northwestsourdough's picture
northwestsourdough

I've been lambasted again by the usenet sourdough people because I seem to be out of the loop concerning HOW sourdough method is accomplished. As you all know, on my site I give my technique, and it makes pretty darn good sourdough. So please instruct me as to the correct method of sourdough bread making and baking. Actually I really would like to learn all of the current methods, I just don't see why people get so religious about it! I have read of ways of folding and stretching, and how to handle really wet dough to acheive the holeyness. I guess I have a hard time understanding why anyone would go to all of this trouble. I don't handle a really wet dough, my bread always seems to come out "holey". Please instruct me! What is your method ? Thanks,Teresa

Category: 
up
187 users have voted.

Replies

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 March 9

Teresa, if it works for you then stick with it. If everybody did the same thing we would not have the variety of sourdough breads that we have.

So far as I am concerned, so long as you are using a pure sourdough starter then that is all that matters. Sometimes I stretch and fold, and other recipes I knead for 15 minutes.

If you want to try a sticky stretcher then I suggest Dom's Pane Francese
http://www.sourdough.com.au/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=40

Already a member? Login