First rye.

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum

OK, I'm back to work, sort of.

This is my first attempt at playing with rye flour (from Bibina, thanks Bill!).

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5016-2/100_1963+_942+x+707_.jpg[/img]

That's not so bad I guess, but look at THIS:

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5019-2/100_1961+_942+x+707_.jpg[/img]

It must be genetically part-mushroom! Why might the base have lifted and cracked like that?

Can't wait to taste it!! It smells good.

Your words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated - adapted from Dom's recipe:

230gm starter (half rye/half Laucke Wallaby)
300gm water
200gm rye
200gm Laucke Wallaby
100gm wholemeal
10gm salt

Cheers,

Carol.

Category: 
up
284 users have voted.

Replies

carla's picture
carla 2006 November 15

Are you going to bake them for us?

I will do one for you and when you have baked it I do the next.

Ok??

carla's picture
carla 2006 November 15

[url=http://www.backrezepte-online.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65][b]wopa's Roggenbrot mit Sauerteig [/b][/url]

3kg flour:

100 % rye
68 % water - 30°C
1,5 % fresh yeast (probably not necessary with your fierce levain)
2 % salt

Sourdough :

50g starter,
1050g rye flour,
840ccm water.

Dough:

1950g rye flour,
1890g rye sourdough (above),
1200g water (approx. depending on flour quality) - 30°C
45g fresh yeast (if used),
60g salt.
------
5145g dough

bulk ferment at 35°C approx. 60 Min.
form bread and let rise at 36°C for approx. 45-65 Min.
bake with steam (if you can) for 60-65 Min.
Temperature should fall to 200°C

Off you go Jeremy!

coelecanth 2006 October 25

I don't know that I am the person to be saying this, being new to this myself, but I thought that first of all the loaf looks pretty fantastic, and you might reduce the cracks at the bottom by slashing deeper.

Andrew

SourDom 2006 October 25

Well done Carol,

your loaf looks good enough to eat!
seriously - it looks very good

I think the problem with cracks and bulges at the base (to which I am not immune!) relates to the bread needing to expand, and choosing the path of least resistance. What you want is to make it harder to burst at the base and easier to burst at the top. To do that you want the seal at the bottom to be tight (avoid using too much flour - there seems to be quite a lot at the bottom of your loaf), and the slashes deep enough to open wide as the loaf expands. As Andrew suggests - slash more!

cheers
Dom

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 October 25

Thanks Andrew and Dom,

I haven't used rye flour before, and was after a tastier sourdough. It carried a lot of flour from the cloth I had it in ... and it does seem to have in some way 'helped' the splitting/lifting at the bottom.

It was MUCH easier to slash - being a 'drier' dough than I have made previously - so I'm feeling quite encouraged about this blade-work business.

AND ... it tasted fabulous! (even if it looked like an evil cross-eyed alien)

(Shame it wasn't quite baked right through. There was a very thin line of uncooked dough smack bang in the middle. So ... being the unfussy lot we are, we ate around it and consumed the whole thing with dinner!)

That said, I will have another go tomorrow.

It looked and sounded (!) like it was finished, but obviously not. I'm guessing that a little longer in the oven, perhaps at a lower temperature, is more suitable for rye blends than my former 100% Wallaby? Would you blokes concur?

BTW - I have been far too chicken to join in on the baguette bake-off, but it has been just wonderful to see what everyone has been doing.

Congrats to you all!!!

Carol

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 October 26

Lauke walla..what?
What rye?
what wholemeal? Wheat?

Perhaps the dough was too dry, rye needs much higher hydration than wheat. Top heat perhaps a bit too strong, when the dough wants to expand the top crust was hardended, but not the bottom. Perhaps less temperature so the crust dried out and candida was still alive.
Nevertheless, the dough raises when crust wasn't elastic any more, on top also, I think, the surface was too dry. Try to spray a little when prooving or something else, keep it moist (not wet) and elastic.

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 October 26

Thanks Markus,

I have two elements in the oven, so perhaps turning the top one off would assist. And I was distracted by two small boys when I should have been spraying it ... routine and conformity is difficult when constantly trying to stop 3 & 5 year old boys from bashing each other!

I am trying again today with another batch so thank you for your suggestions!

Carol

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 October 26

Carol, I have found during my experiments with high proportion rye, that this cracking around the bottom has occured for me also, even with a well slashed top.
I have a feeling that it has something to do with the low gluten content of rye flour, giving a much weaker crust strength. If you observe a white loaf as it is baking and in the early stages going through it's oven rise, you will see the strength of the rise actually rounding off the bottom edges of the loaf. It is at this point that I feel the weak crust edges of a high proportion rye loaf tears instead of being pulled up round.
Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

SourYumMum's picture

Hi Bill,

Guess I'll be fighting you off to get the little bags of rye at our local!

Yes, I understand what you're getting at. Sitting in front of the oven watching bread rise is one of life's great pleasures.

I love the flavour and texture of this bread, it's delicious ... but it deceived me when it appeared to be nearly overdone! That's why I was asking if the oven should perhaps be a little cooler? And as Markus suggested, a bit more spraying ... keeping in mind, of course, your warning about too much spraying!

But I am very much looking forward to today's bread!

Carol.

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 October 26

Carol, my rye loaves tend to go dark. The 1/3 rye loaves I make go very dark because I put a tablespoon of molasses in a 750g loaf, and it is the caramelisation of the molasses in the crust that makes it look overdone. Great taste.

SourYumMum's picture

MMmmMmmMMMMmmmMolasses!

I have been toying with the idea of throwing a little maple syrup into one!

OK ... so don't be frightened by the dark!

Into the oven in an hour or so I think.

Carol.

SourYumMum's picture

OK ... inspired by the lovely work on the baguette bake-off thread, here's today's loaves. Rye Thinguettes I think I'll call them!

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5058-3/100_1965+_942+x+707_.jpg[/img]

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5061-2/100_1966+_942+x+707_.jpg[/img]

They actually appear at this early uncut stage to be much better than yesterday's effort.

Dinnertime awaits!

Bill, et al??

Carol.

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 26

Very nice carol.
Hope you had some time to take a pic of the crumb before before everybody devoured it!!
Put the pic in the baguette thread. So it gets a bit more colourful.

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 26

[quote="Bill44"]
Carol, I have found during my experiments with high proportion rye, that this cracking around the bottom has occured for me also, even with a well slashed top.
I have a feeling that it has something to do with the low gluten content of rye flour, giving a much weaker crust strength.
[/quote]

I have always admired people who can bake rye breads without a tin.
So I thought I put some links in for you which show that it is possible to bake rye without bulges and breakages.
However - I cannot!

[url=http://www.backrezepte-online.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65][b]100% rye[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.backrezepte-online.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13][b]80% rye 20% wheat [/b][/url]
[url=http://www.backrezepte-online.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47][b]60% rye 40% wheat[/b][/url]

northwestsourdough's picture
northwestsourdough 2006 October 27

I have found with cracks on the bottoms of loaves, that my stone wasn't heated thoroughly. I don't know if it is the cause of your Rye bottom cracks, but I thought I'd throw that in the pot for consideration.
Teresa

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 October 28

Thanks for the links, Carla.

Isn't the slashing on the 80:20 loaf just beautiful!

I used the same recipe today to make small buns for a lunch - threw a small handful of sunflower seeds into the dough - and the one I sampled was very nice!

Teresa, I have actually not baked these on the stone, but on a tray - which in itself might be a problem.

Carol.

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 28

[quote="SourYumMum"]
Thanks for the links, Carla.
Isn't the slashing on the 80:20 loaf just beautiful!
[/quote]

Yes it is - but I am admiring the 100% rye loaf as well!
To be able to do a 100% rye the way wopa does it is astounding I think. He really has it down pat.

I am sure you will do the same soon Carol.
Just a bit more practise.

Myself has baked 3 loaves in tins today with sesame and linseed, rye and red konini wheat, and a bit of supermarket white. Looks good from the outside, must wait till tomorrow to cut it though. Far too hot still!

jem 2009 August 13
bit of a blast from the past this thread, but I am in need of a good 100% rye formula. Had some sucess with rye, but not there yet! It might be worthy of a new thread perhaps?

Anyway, with the formula above (thanks for translating Carla), do I knead it? If rye rises because of starch networks, is there any point?
Also the whole process seems a bit short for a rye?

Grateful of any suggestions - I will try and post some pictures when I get something worth posting.

Already a member? Login