Tonights Orphans

carla's picture
carla

Poor little sods - Mums dead and they are very picky in what they eat...

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4821-3/DSCN1833.JPG[/img]

Category: 
up
210 users have voted.

Replies

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 13

[quote="Jeremy"]
How are the runts?
[/quote]

Thanks to the goat colostrum they have survived so far.
Pretty tired feeding them all night though.
Will harden my heart tonight I think...

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 13

[quote="SourYumMum"]
Here's my city:

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4826-1/newcastle.jpg[/img]

Carol.
[/quote]

Gee carol,
Just pray with Mr. Bush that there is no global warming...
Not much to have "land under" there...
Gotta boat yet?

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 13

Yeah yeah we had this in the NY thread, don't forget who the other oil guzzlers, nuke freaks and whatever around the planet, all humans are twits!

Jeremy

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 October 13

The photo was taken from a lighthouse atop a good sized headland.

The sandy strip that connects it to the mainland is actually man-made, so it would be no great loss!

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 13

Hi Carol!
Sorry bout the NY Thread! Just raising my imperial hubris!

You been back to listen to Grahams interview with me yet?

Jeremy

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 October 13

[quote="SourYumMum"]
The photo was taken from a lighthouse atop a good sized headland.

The sandy strip that connects it to the mainland is actually man-made, so it would be no great loss!

[/quote]
Be glad the steelworks have gone Carol, otherwise you wouldn't see as far as your photo shows, even on a clear day.

SourYumMum's picture

Bill, it's amazing the difference it makes! It even smells better!!! And I'm quite a big fan of the development along the harbour/river/Honeysuckle. Full of nice cafes and restaurants, etc.

SourYumMum's picture

Wouldn't that be funny!

You could probably work anywhere from the coast to the Hunter Valley area which has big resorts and very posh restaurants, indeed! I certainly can't afford to eat there!

I'm not sure about spoon-lickers, though!!

But you can torment yourself here ...

[url]http://www.hungerfordhill.com.au/terroir/[/url]
[url]http://www.winecountry.com.au/dining.aspx[/url]
[url]http://www.bestrestaurants.com.au/booking/select_rest.asp?id=157[/url]

Carol.

SourYumMum's picture

Or this ...

[url]http://www.scratchleys.com.au/[/url]

Amazing building, environmentally friendly, great food.

In fact, the chap who built it and opened the restaurant is about to take over the lighthouse site that I took that earlier photograph from, and open a complex of restaurant, cafe, accommodation ... should be quite spectacular.

[url]http://www.lighthouse.net.au/liGhTS/Bulletin/0607/nobbys_head.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.newportcorp.com.au/page_list.aspx?listType=mediaList&mediaCatID=2&pageID=39[/url]

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 13

Thanks Carol,
Licking chocolat off spoons well that was staged! The places look nice, maybe I will give up cooking and become a hermit, seems TP was so mad at my bit with Croc that she won't respond to my apology in the pm, oh well

Think I should go to europe instead of pissing off too many folks in the Pacific, hell our Prez already had done that for us!

Ta!

SourYumMum's picture

No, not at all ... we'd love to have you share your wit, wisdom and food with us!!!

It's called 'working holiday'!

And TP is probably busy feeding her girls! She's no delicate flower and is capable of a good serve!!

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 13

Undoubtedly so!

Yeah well I'll have to be wooed,Graham had me hooked, I just was a bit teed!
Macho stupidity, doesn't really happen usually, I'm a sheep!

OOOPS you guy's shear them there!

Jeremy

SourYumMum's picture

We shear them, we eat them, but we do not shag them. That is the domain of NEW ZEALANDERS.

(This is a joke that may be particular to the southern hemisphere, so if you don't get it, don't worry.)

Baaaaaaaaaaaaa

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 13

[quote="SourYumMum"]
We shear them, we eat them, but we do not shag them. That is the domain of NEW ZEALANDERS.
[/quote]

Now now now ... don't force me to tell the joke the neighbours kid brought home form primary school ... [size=7]Graham will ban me[/size]

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 13

[quote="Jeremy"]
Do they need a chef there?Jeremy
[/quote]

They do actually!

[url=http://www.scratchleys.com.au/][b]CAREER OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE[/b][/url]

"Do you have experience and passion for the hospitality industry? If you have, and would like to join the team at one of the finest restaurants in Newcastle, then we want to hear from you. Just drop us a line at letting us know about yourself and your qualifications, and we may be in touch. Don't forget to attach your resume!"

Off you go jeremy

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 13

Nah will become a wandering hermit grow a beard, visit Graham incognito and ask the world to forgive me! The wharf looks a litttle too franchised!
I want something Bohemian, thats where my people came from before they moved to Russia!(not on there own mind you!)

Jeremy( soon to be hermit!)

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 October 14

my backyard is a bit boho today ... 37 degrees celsius.

Needless to say, we are inside today with the airconditioning on! Although two days of it seems to have appealed to my blueberries!

So to keep myself entertained, I have 'racked' my mead (2 years and one month old!), and started soaking 3 kg of mixed fruit in Grand Marnier for Christmas cake and icecream pudding!

And made nori rolls for lunch.

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 14

There you go Carol little hot toddy in the cake!
Its 13 degrees here, still I rode the bike in this morning back and forthe between lunch, dinner and back again! Felt great getting that cold Canadian air!
I am stying up late baking ciabatta and a Pain au levain fromChristian Vabrets book!(famous baker in France!)

Still I would love to go boho in Europe, stop the train I want to get off.....

jeremy

SourYumMum's picture

After three days of hot weather-induced cabin fever with my boys, no matter how much I love them, I could also become a hermit!

My fruit should be nice when I make the cakes in December!! I'm just wondering if I should also throw a little rum in. Might ruin the nice citrus flavour of the GM, though.

Have no idea when we will sample the mead. I was inspired by a 30-year old batch of backyard mead a relative had made in the 1970's ... syrupy and amazing!

Carol.

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 14

I had mead for a Jewish holiday once , actually really liked it! Till the next morning! In France they call it hydromel!

Hmmm rum no Armagnac better! Though with prunes!

SourYumMum's picture

Advice received, thank you Mr Boozy Fruit Man!

It was all that talk of boozy froot that reminded me I had NO fruit soaking for Christmas!

My kids have had their fingers in it, so they should sleep well tonight!

Carol.

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 14

Well medicated! I never do that for christmas, I always do Buche de Noel, were French for Christmas! Thanksgiving is coming up will do the usual American apple pie, pecan and pumpkin pie!Although next week for a party at work I will do Tatouillat, pumpkin apple tart in puff pastry, really good with vanilla ice cream!

Jeremy

SourYumMum's picture

But of course Christmas here is STINKING HOT so we usually have a roast turkey, but other than that it's pretty much all cold ... lots of seafood, a yummy chicken terrine, salads, and some of the fruit mix goes into icecream to make a frozen 'pudding', rather than a hot one.

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 October 14

[quote="SourYumMum"]
[/quote]
Haleluja I never thought it would happen.

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 14

[quote="Bill44"]
[quote="SourYumMum"]
[/quote]
Haleluja I never thought it would happen. [/quote]

Aren't they called sushi??

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 October 14

[quote="carla"]
Aren't they called sushi??
[/quote]
Sushi is the rice mixture quite often used in Nori Rolls. Nori Rolls are so named because the dark green wrapper is Nori seaweed. Sushi is usually a shaped lump of the rice with a prawn or a slice of raw tuna etc plastered on the side. Inari Sushi is the rice mixture inside a pocket of tofu noodle drenched with Mirin.
However Sushi has become a generic western term for all the various types.
When people hear sushi they usually think "raw fish" however when served on its own the raw fish etc is Sashimi.

All the various types are on my most favoured food list.

SourYumMum's picture

Bill, I've been making nori rolls for 20 years - but I had never made it with my newfangled rice cooker.

And let me tell you I am LOVING my new rice cooker!! It will make 10 cups or so, and we have given it an absolute hiding since we got it.

I remember introducing my dad to sashimi in about 1985 ... and he's been a convert ever since. Even my boys eat nori rolls and love it when I buy them hosomaki at Charlestown. I've got them eating the mixed bentomaki with salmon roe, etc... and they love any of the sweet omelette thingies!

Carla - nigiri are the sushi with toppings, like salmon. Maki are rolls, like nori rolls ... temaki are the cone-shaped rolls. It's a great shame that when my husband's Japanese uncle comes to Australia, he just wants to eat PRAWNS!!!

Carol.

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 14

[quote="SourYumMum"]
It's a great shame that when my husband's Japanese uncle comes to Australia, he just wants to eat PRAWNS!!!
[/quote]

When we have japanese visitors they always want to eat kiwifruit and persimmons, as these are still quite expensive in Japan.

Ah Bill and Carol, couldn't we have a sushi et al thread in OT recipes for all of us to put in the pictures of the ones we have made or eaten somewhere?

That would be such a good "dictionary" when one wants to make something for visitors! Must check where my photos have gotten to of the "normal" sushi I make.

I call it "fast food" as it really only takes about half an hour once the rice is cold to roll and cut and there is food for 10 people!!

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 October 14

[quote="carla"]
I call it "fast food" as it really only takes about half an hour
[/quote]
Preparing sushi I need minimum 3 hours netto, overall distance 5 to 6, washing the rice takes about 2 hours itself..
Rice may be cooked when washing water is absolutely clear.

Nori rolls??
Never heard, you mean Maki-Zushi (Maki-Sushi) with outer laying Nori?

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 October 14

[quote="SourYumMum"]
I remember introducing my dad to sashimi in about 1985 ...
[/quote]

Shame on me...I grew up in Düsseldorf, the Japanese capitol of Germeny and a former Eurupean hedquarters, now it's Paris, meanwhile even London has a greater department
I always denied sushi, raw fish..igitttt, am I a werwolf?, it was in 2001! when a student at my former work came to lunch with some packed dishes of sushi...within the gruop I tasted and...

In Düsseldorf you can find some of the World bests Japanese Restaurant's for instance Kikaku or Benkay. I never tested them, they are too much expensive.
Very good are [url=http://www.nippon-kan.com/]Nippon-Kan[/url] and [url=http://www.nagaya.de/index.htm]Nagaya[/url]. Last one isn't very authentic, it's sort of asian fusion with adopted european style, but the dishes are excellent!
For myself I prefer one of the much more cheaper sushi bars, not so exclusive, not so expensive knifes but with very healthy tasty food.

But never found a maki like the one TPs posted some weeks ago..

donyeokl's picture
donyeokl 2006 October 15

Hi Carla,

Am looking for a german Apfel Streudel recipe, any chance you have a tried and tested one to share? Many thanks in advance...

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 15

[quote="donyeokl"]
Am looking for a german Apfel Streudel recipe, any chance you have a tried and tested one to share?
[/quote]

Sure - just making clear here what we are talking about:
[b]Apfel strudel[/b] - as in rolled up strudel dough (which is neither flakey pastry nor filo pastry by the way) with apples and raisins inside.

Or [b]Apfel Streusel[/b] as in an apple cake with streusels on top.

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 October 15

Bill, I didn't. I made it the way I always have but used the rice cooker to prepare the rice as I didn't want to change everything and not know which change had made the improvement.

But I have your recipe tucked away and will try it.

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 October 15

[i]carla: I call it "fast food" as it really only takes about half an hour[/i]
Fast food, wether maki nor sushimi:cry:
todays breakfast..wild salmon with wasabi on "Rheinischem Schwarzbrot"
(bread is 100% rye grain (Grobschrot), sourdough, yeast, malt, molasses, salt, water)
[url=http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict1519qc7.jpg][img]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9713/pict1519qc7.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[quote="carla"]
..strudel dough (which is.. nor filo pastry by the way)
[/quote]
my dear carla, you seems not to be up to date, even first class chefs (those one decorated by Michelin) use filo doughs, christmas last year I search everywhere to get it, I havn't, so I don't even know what it is.
But it shgould be an oriental original "Strudelteig" now a days ode industrially..,chefs who who make their own dough are very very rare..Lafer for example.
Will post a recipe soon, now the weather is fine..

donyeokl's picture
donyeokl 2006 October 16

Hi Carla,

[quote]
Sure - just making clear here what we are talking about:
Apfel strudel - as in rolled up strudel dough (which is neither flakey pastry nor filo pastry by the way) with apples and raisins inside.
[/quote]

Yup, that's the one... Sorry for the wrong spelling... Thanks.

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 16

Recipe will come this evening - on my way out now

Edit:
Here it is: [url=http://www.sourdough.com.au/forum//viewtopic.php?p=4949#4949][b]Carla's Austrian Apple Strudel [/b][/url]

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 12

They are kunekune piglets, 22cm from snout to tail. Were born yesterday and mum died giving birth. Luckily I had some frozen goat colostrum from 10 years ago. Until now they look ok. But mostly they die after a few hours or days, as they are so picky in what they can eat and digest.
Yes i do feed them with the bottle. Thing is they can only drink a few sips at a time, so have been up most of the night trying to get them to drink a little.
Of course everybody thinks we should just kill them...

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 12

Sorry Carla,
were just MCP's incensitive, but nature has a way of sorting things out?
Give them a hug for me and if they make it well , don't bring them to [size=24]OZ FEST 2007[/size]

Jeremy
eeeek, really TP i know u have a recipe for something like that somewhere!

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 October 12

Carla,

They are beautiful. Don't eat them just yet - Jeremy and TP are very naughty.

Here's hoping your Kunekune mothering skills reign supreme.

Carol.

Pages

Already a member? Login