Carla's first bake on the stone in the gas oven ...

carla's picture
carla

Here is the saga of my first pure sourdough tin-free bread that is going to be baked on a tile in the gas oven.

You see it will be a long story, so we will do it in bits.

Two days ago, in the evening, I made my nice dough with freshly milled durum wheat, a bit of supermarket white stuff and my new trusty wheat sourdough. All new to me that I usually bake soft all-wholemeal-rye breads in tins...

But looking at all those nice breads I thought the stone might just make the difference.

So I got one of the clay tiles that were left over from building and cleaned it nicely, let it dry for many days and made my dough...

Category: 
up
198 users have voted.

Replies

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 7

Yesterday morning then I baked a lot of rolls (Broetchen) and sticks (Stangen) with and without caustic soda on top and formed lovingly my bread and put it into a bowl to prove.

In the afternoon it looked ok despite the cool weather (it had snowed further down the island!) and I started heating up the oven.

When hot I put semolina on the peel and flipped the bread onto it.

I didn't have time to make a picture, as the dough went so fast over the sides of the peel that I had to run for a scraper to get it back under control.

One look convinced me that the mess was not bakeable like that - and so I scraped all back into the bowl, cleaned the peel, switched off the oven and sulked.

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 7

In the evening then I decided it must be the undeveloped gluten and that I had not kneaded enough.

So into it I went and kneaded for 10 minutes incorporating more flour too as I figured the poor MO's will need some food for another long cold night.

This morning it looked good, sitting in its bowl all surrounded by rolled oats which I thought will make it come out nicely and prevent it sticking to the bowl.

I am heating up the oven now.
Give the experiment some good thoughts will ya - please!!

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 7

I had a 40 minute cliffhanger too...
while it was baking.

Then I took a not too flat bread out of the oven and couldn't wait to cut it.
So it was still lukewarm when I ate the first slice.

Absolutely divine! Lovely taste - not too sour despite all the kneading and waiting and rising over the last 3 days.

Must admit that I took Bill's advice and tipped it straight onto the stone. Wasn't going to try the peel again just yet..

Pictures are still at the lab for processing.
Will come soon.

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 October 7

[quote="carla"]
One look convinced me that the mess was not bakeable like that -
[/quote]

Hey, Suzy Creamcheese, what's going arount with you?
noodle soup, the absolutely speciality of your's..

have you tried soup without tins,without any moulds...welcome to the tinless bakers club

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 7

The peel is a flick of the wrist Carla, some of military boy's know alot about wrist action!(Bill, you know!)

Jeremy

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 7

[quote="bianchifan"]
noodle soup, the absolutely speciality of your's..
have you tried soup without tins,without any moulds...welcome to the tinless bakers club
[/quote]

Yes I have bianchifan. As you know, baking noodle soup is my speciality - but only as a breadstick, not a nice round loaf and that without yeast!!
My noodle soup had always yeast in it!

And now [b]you[/b] can explain what the bakeable noodle soup means, as nobody here has any idea what you are talking about my dear!

Normbake 2006 October 7

I have no idea what noodle soup has got to do with baking bread maybe I've lost the pot (plot)
Carla looking forward to your pics
regards all... nice looking bagels Don
Normbake

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 8

Ah - you haven't Normbake!

But as per usual bianchifan makes some insider jokes of his and then doesn't explain them.

Some time ago we had a discussion in a German forum about the virtues of preferments.
So I went and made some up from water, flour and a few granules of yeast.
The next morning it looked perfectly nice to me and so I kneaded it and turned it into a baguette, cause I had no time, as it turned out in the morning, to make a big bread session anyway.

So basically I used a preferment without making a dough out of it to make the baguette (or you could say I used an overnight delayed yeast dough - there was no sourdough in it).

Bianchifan doubted that you could bake anything like that and said that I could just as well try and give some noodle soup some structure if I wanted to bake with just the pre-ferment.

Luckily I had made some pictures before the wolves got into the bread, which I could put up to prove it, and ever since he tells everywhere that I can turn noodle soup into bread...

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 9

Another double post edited out.

My puter had issues last night and when the posts finally went (after 20 Minutes of trying) I just switched it off and only noticed now that I had double posts in 2 threads.

All fixed now.

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 9

And here the pictures:

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4801-1/DSCN1818F.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4803-1/DSCN1822F.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4805-1/DSCN1828F.jpg[/img]

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 October 9

Well done, Carla! No stopping you now. To Rye and beyond!!

How big was the loaf, Carla? Looks huge and so wonderfully fibre-rich with all that oat.

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 October 9

Madam doublepost,
it was the second try after rekneading, it's all right...the ground semms to be a little light, perhaps you may heaten your stone some minutes longer.
What's the highest temperature in your gasstation(oWen, not car )

I Think you know what I unerstood by expressing your well known baking turn by "noodle soup"..meanwhile..

Try some more times, you will receive phantastic bread.

BTW, what sort og stone?

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 October 9

lol, she did post double in 2 places! ROFL! The things you'd do to spike up posts for the forum...dear lady.

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 10

[quote="TeckPoh"]
lol, she did post double in 2 places! ROFL! The things you'd do to spike up posts for the forum...dear lady.
[/quote]

Not really to spike up the forum, just my puters fault (and maybe mine, cause I pressed "sumbmit" about 10 times to get it to transmit...)

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 10

Well there is nothing else than dial-up out here in the sticks. You could pay four times as much for broadband - but they won't guarantee any speeds ... Should try that with my business .....

It is [b]hailing[/b] now here - eek!
Just a minute ago I thought the washing would get dry!!!

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 October 10

BTW, Carla, I won't be showing up in NZ. Hubby's going but not us....taking some clients to the north island. No point us paying so much (tour prices have doubled since the last time we went) and are not free to explore as we wish.

But, hey! Oz Meet is on for me!!

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 10

Ahh - I would love to go to OZ once in my life - but not sure that I can do it! Lets hope and just maybe I could??

Already a member? Login