how on earth

Croc

no matter what i try i can't get my rolls to do what i want
they taste and smell great but they more like dinner rolls
i want to make nice light and fluffy crumb and crusty top

(i'm talking yeasted here but if someone got great recipe for sourdough rolls that would be close enough than i'm all ears)

anyway had my "test" roll and it was very nice but it isn't what i was after, i guess i go cry my self to sleep now

Category: 
up
191 users have voted.

Replies

Croc 2006 August 26

btw i seen some pictures of shapped rolls not bigger than table tennis ball that ends up so bloody huge it shocked me, this is what i need to manage (some how) to endup with rolls way i want
do i need to put 500gr of yeast in 500gr of flour to get this or what ??!?!?!?!?
aggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

Croc 2006 August 26

maybe i should try much lower hydration ? since knots rolls for example are so soft that there is no point shapping them as they endup after final proof looking just like round roll

chembake 2006 August 26

Croc assuming the recipe is satisfactory and balanced then you have to modify the dough rising qualities like commercial bread if its okay with you.
The easiest way is to add a commercial bread improver and further fortify your flour with 1-2% vital wheat gluten.
Its common knowledge that Australian flours is of medium gluten strength so bakers there usually add gluten flour to their bread recipes.

Croc 2006 August 26

thanks chembake but there is no way i will add bread improvers to my bakes
after my dead body

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 August 26

Croc,

the whole mystery of a well done roll is an excellent dough, smooth and elastic. It mustn't be the highest hydration, it must by high enough to expand easily but it must always keep the gas. Having only bad flour you can support it with a slightly trace of ascorbic acid, but its not necessary, its secondary. But I think its helpful to use some malt. Not for colour but for enzymic activity, it must be diastatic. Using malt is a very old way of improving dough properties. Malt supplies both, a fluffy crumb and a gently crackling crust, it's food for the yeast and its supports caramalisation in crust.

500 g yeast and 500g flour, oh no, its an awful way and you doesn't reach your goal. Better 5 g and a long timed starter or 1 g and a very long timed starter. The longer the starter will rest the taste sucseeds.
Use malt only in final dough and don't prove it too long. Proving too long may disturb the gluten-structure and make it leaky.

Last point is steam, much steam.
At beginninig there must be a very very high humidity in oven, > 90% better 95 %. IT helps to expand by keeping elactic skin and its absolutely necessary to build much more caramel.
It's difficult to realize that in oven at home.
BUt try, spay in oven before baking several times and brush the rolls slightly.
One day you will receive phantastic rolls at home.

Croc 2006 August 26

my last test was done with more bottom heat next bake i will go for more heat on top and see how that works

Already a member? Login