The Handmade Loaf - Dan Lepard

ChuckB

I have a copy of Dan Lepards' book for sale. By not paying attention I managed to order two copies of this beautifully produced collection. Using the US to AUD conversion rate of $.70, this book is available for $40 plus postage. Any takers? :D

Chuck

Category: 
up
270 users have voted.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 31

Perhaps, we can use this thread to discuss and show our bakes from Dan's book.

Today is our Independence Day (Hari Merdeka). With the girls sleeping in, I got up early and made this with leftover dough from the Apple and Custard Loaf I made on Sunday. This is sweet hybrid dough spread with hazelnut paste and filled with apples. I had 2 slices already. If they don't get up soon, it's going, going........gone!

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d188/Tepee/applehazel.jpg[/img]

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 August 31

[quote="TeckPoh"]

Say, Bill...did you get the book as your bday prezzie?
[/quote]
SWMBO said the new owen would have to do instead.

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 August 31

I 'ordered' it via a shop here in Newcastle about 5 or 6 weeks ago.

"Be here in two weeks!" they said.

I am still waiting.

I might just have to get it via the web.

What annoys me is that they haven't even rung me about it.

Croc 2006 August 31

well i got the book from chuckb nice and quick, had bit of luck because chuck put wrong street number and it would endup with one of my retarded neighbours but my postman recognized the name and came to my door with it (good man)

book is great, what i like a lot about it is that you can read it like a normal which is rare for recipe book.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 31

Must be your fault. Maybe you have problem with numbers too (for eg...insisting 6 is a 9?) like you do with V and W etc.?

* Not laughing at ppl with dyslexia. I'm sure our friend croc doesn't have it.

ChuckB 2006 August 31

Try Amazon.com for the Handmade Loaf book. I found through SUPERBOOKDEALSDOTCOM, I could order the book for $USD29.44. As I have a US Post Box in California, and with free shipping, this seemed like a good deal. However, I inadvertantly ordered the book with my Tasmania, Australia address and thought I had cancelled the order. Not to be... My biggest concern was the time it would take to arrive. Imagine my amasement when the book arrived in Tasmania, before the same book arrived in California! Anyway, that is why I had two copies, and Croc agreed to take the extra copy off my hands!

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 August 31

Thanks ChuckB ... I will get it eventually!

Lived in Hobart for three years some time ago ... I just love Tassie!

Croc 2006 August 31

[quote="TeckPoh"]
Must be your fault. Maybe you have problem with numbers too (for eg...insisting 6 is a 9?) like you do with V and W etc.?

* Not laughing at ppl with dyslexia. I'm sure our friend croc doesn't have it.
[/quote]

first thing i done was going to my PMs and checking if i gave it wrong number to chuck but no it was 76 and on package from chuck was 79

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 31

See? See? I was right about the 6 and 9!! Your addy is probably 79 but you insist it's 76 and the postman and the people living in your vicinity know you only too well, so they always redirect your letters to you. Poor kind souls...stuck with you.

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 August 31

Ah postmen, when I was working in the PI I had a friend come and stay for a holiday. Now while he was there he was a naughty boy (met a lady) and he gave her the address of another friend up the road from where he lived. The local postman delivered a letter from the lady to his real address, and of course wifey dear smelt the perfumed envelope and opened it. OOOOOOps.

Croc 2006 August 31

don't make me take pictures of my letterbox, chuck's package, and the pm i sent him with address

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 31

oh, while you're at it..... your oWen too. I gotta see why it's so special you keep spelling it like that.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 22

Using the thread to showcase Dan's recipes. Here's his Apple and Oat Bread. Mmm....moist!

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5537-2/appleoatbrd.jpg[/img]

[b]Question to ponder:[/b] This bread did not require slashing. Oven spring was lovely and yet it did not crack...anywhere. How is it other (plainer) breads need some slashing to prevent splitting in unwanted places?

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 29

Onion and Bay Loaf - I keep making this because it smells sooooo good when it's baking and the crust is delicious with the caramelized onions. It doesn't require any slashing, but I needed the practice. Not a very photogenic loaf, though.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5616-2/onion29nov06.jpg[/img]

Croc 2006 November 29

just to note that onion/bay bread is not for every one, as much i enjoyed it on day it was baked next day it was quite ugly to eat and my family didn't like it at all

carla's picture
carla 2006 November 29

Nice to see you posting again Croc!

How is everything going with you? Still baking? What happened to the bakery you wanted to start??

We just have an Italian visitor, so will grill her about cooking and baking - as she trained as a chef back in Italy!!

Croc 2006 November 30

hi carla (hi all)

i been bussy (still am) with work, i'm trying to build house in area where i want to open bakery one day and i want to do it without getting loan from bank so i got very little time for spam on forums
but watch your back cus i'm right behind you keeping eye on all of you

i only baked once couple of days ago quick afghan bread (single rise and only ~10min bake)
i'm in trouble with my family for not baking every day as i used to
good thing is that they know what good bread is and nobody want to eat bread from normal shops so every morning my wife goes to some small bakery and brings quite nice bread, its quite heavy and taste great, you can tell by looks and taste that it's not full of chemical junk, not cheap but well worth the money

Millciti's picture
Millciti 2008 December 25
Hi Terry,

Dan's Book is on Amazon for around $22-24 dollars U.S.  It is on my wish list, it sounds really good.

But I also found this, I think it is from Nils... Can anyone check the recipe to make sure it is all there, there were comments about missing flour?

http://theinversecook.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/bbd-9-rolled-oat-and-apple-bread/

For most of our friends from the Near and Far East, and Down Under - Today is Christmas Day!  Here in North America we still have one day left to Bake and Cook like crazy...!  Gotta remember next year to take off Christmas Eve!!

Have a Great Holiday Season! 

And Merry Christmas All!  God Bless you everyone!

Terri

Already a member? Login