[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4507-1/new_Monday+002.jpg[/img]

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4509-1/new_Monday+004.jpg[/img]

Category: 
up
198 users have voted.

Replies

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 August 11

Dunno mate, I'm running around like a wanker getting my bags off to the airport! As well I am so stressed from work and well, send you an e-mail when I get a chance and we'll cross our fingers and see if U and I can make this historic meeting happen, the gu's would love a pictorial report I am sure?

Jeremy

northwestsourdough's picture
northwestsourdough 2006 August 11

[quote="matthew"]
One thing I am looking forward to is trying a recipe I have for a rye bread that cooks overnight in the receding heat of a masonary oven. According to the author it's a Black Pumpernickel - but he's not German so this may not be technically correct. Apparently the smell when you open the oven is a knockout!

Matthew
[/quote]

Hi Matthew, sounds like Jeffrey Hamelman's black rye, right? I would like to give that one a try myself.
Happy Baking,
Teresa

matthew 2006 August 12

That's the one Theresa. I imagine it'll be a bit of a project getting that one right.

Jeremy, have a good trip. Sounds like the flight could be a bit more unpleasant than usual with the current hand luggage restrictions. Hope it goes ok for you.

Matthew

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 7

Don't mind at all if all my usuals look like these!

I recently bought some hazelnut puree. Will see how I can work that into a bread today. Any thots?

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 August 8

Yes Carla, I prefer bannetons for final proofing. I will be doing a revue of a banneton shortly, giving the reasons why I like them.

carla's picture
carla 2006 August 8

I'd love to buy some here in NZ rather than have to import them, but haven't seen any. I still have a small round one from Germany, but prefer the long ones really. Must hunt around some more.

matthew 2006 August 8

Carla,

I've also spent a lot of time looking for a NZ source for bannetons. In the end the closest supply I could find was Graham's shop on this site. I still had to pay freight, but hey I don't treat myself everyday, and I can't find them here. Must say it's nice to have some of the genuine article now . Though if I needed a large number I'd probably go with a cheaper solution.

Matthew

carla's picture
carla 2006 August 8

[quote="matthew"]
Though if I needed a large number I'd probably go with a cheaper solution.
[/quote]

What is your cheaper solution Matthew? I tried using my bread tins with a nappy (unused!!) in it, but that wasn't very successfull. Any other great ideas?

Where do you live in NZ?
And have you started your wood fired oven yet?

matthew 2006 August 8

Hi Carla,

I'm in Wellington. How about yourself?

Similar to some of the others I have some cheap baskets that I've lined with heavy cotton made to shape (not too many wrinkles). More like the linen lined baskets. They work pretty well, and now have enough flour worked in that they don't need too much dusting each time I proof.

The woodfired oven is in the planning stage still. Finding the time to give to the project has been a constant struggle. But I have the space all sorted, just got to finish the plan and decide whether or not to tell the council..... I've even got some friends keen to help - I think they are also keen to help eat the bread that comes out at the end!

One thing I am looking forward to is trying a recipe I have for a rye bread that cooks overnight in the receding heat of a masonary oven. According to the author it's a Black Pumpernickel - but he's not German so this may not be technically correct. Apparently the smell when you open the oven is a knockout!

Matthew

carla's picture
carla 2006 August 8

Ahh pumpernickel! Very nice. Just make sure you get a proper German recipe if you want the original. There are some weird concoctions with that name attached in some of the bread forums...

Once the oven is built and you got the lidded baking tins then I can translate you a German one.

I have thought of "baking" this bread in my crockpot. Start off in the oven with 150 degrees for a couple of hours, then down to 120, then to 100 then into the crockpot overnight...

My oven is up in the winterless North. Just had 260mm of rain on Saturday and Sunday. Today sunshine and very warm again. The almonds are flowering already!

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 August 10

Hi matthew,

pumpernickel is being cooked at low temperature (it's about 120 to 110 degrees (Celsius)) with much steam for 24 to 36 hours.

matthew 2006 August 10

Thanks bianchifan! When the oven's done and I've got a feel for how to drive it I'll be getting back to you and Carla for some help with the pumpernickel.

Matthew

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 August 10

Bill!
Hope the big Apple levain is up and running? I will fly to Switzerland today, if the bloody jihadi's would just stop trying to blow us all to kingdom come!
Take care all and will stay in touch if possible maybe do some field reports on bread and OT recipes!

Jeremy

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 10

Hey, take care and have loads of fun! Try avoiding Heathrow...try to fly into another airport when you're going to the UK.

Looking forward to hearing your report on rustic european breads and such!

Already a member? Login