Gorokan Levain

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/jergra/CIMG0612.jpg[/img]
One lovely loaf, during the hot black out in Queens where I live! Bill was so kind as to send me a sample of his bacillus and it was put into service, twice actually, the first experiment was a Bordelaise loaf that over proofed when the fridge was knocked off line! It was re-incorporated into a campagne dough that turned into an Olive campagne bread that I gave to my butcher who provided me with some lovely sausages and sauerkraut,but this was all gorokan, weened from dry strain and awoken, ever so gently and then forced into service with foreign water and flour! Ta-da, what a specimen! Hybrid Oz!

Ta,
Cheers mate,hope you'll be more gentle with my sample when it arrives, careful it's from New York, it may bite!

Jeremy

Category: 
up
236 users have voted.

Replies

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 26

[quote="Jeremy"]
Cheers mate,hope you'll be more gentle with my sample when it arrives, careful it's from New York, it may bite!Jeremy
[/quote]

Well it just walked in the door, hasn't bitten me yet, but the first words it said were," Goddamn what a trip, ripped open and frisked by the quarantine dudes."
First starter from overseas that I have ever had checked by quarantine!
I'll give it a drink to get over the jet lag and then I suppose I had better give it a feed. I think that it thinks it's here for a holiday, I hope the shock of work is not too much for it, after all it is upside down.

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 July 26

Quarantined?
Gadzooks, they must of thought it was some Al Qaeda thing or whatever?
It's gone take off, look stand back, Carol is wondering if you'll let some of it spawn and head down her way!

cheers,
Jeremy

P.S. just posted my new blog , give it a read if your not too busy! That's Fornax on wordpress hosted by Graham & Maedi!

carla's picture
carla 2006 July 26

[quote="Jeremy"]
Quarantined?!
[/quote]

No chance in hell would it get past MAF in this country mate!

carla's picture
carla 2006 July 26

[quote="Jeremy"]
What's MAF?
[/quote]

Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries - border control - looking for "New organisms" that want to sneak into the country.

Like rabid sourdoughs and the like.

Check it out [url=http://www.ermanz.govt.nz/no/compliance/roles.html][b]here[/b][/url] or [url=http://www.morst.govt.nz/wayfinder/regulations/organisms.asp][b]here[/b][/url]

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 26

Jeremy, great job at perpetuating the Gorokan strain!

Gosh, Carla, the NZ MAF are really serious at not anything slip in. A UK starter reached me in 5 days...no problem.

northwestsourdough's picture
northwestsourdough 2006 July 26

Great looking bread, as always! Doesn't the Aussie starter have great flavor? It tastes even better with a wholegrain recipe of some sort.
I wonder why the stress about quarantine Bill??? Maybe they are tracking you down for importing weird things???
TEresa

Already a member? Login