Starter calculator.

Bill44's picture
Bill44

The starter calculator is now in the tools section and you can download it for personal use.
Using some of your stock starter this calculator will give you the mix for any amount of starter, any hydration starter, and any mix of flours in your starter.
Either go to the Home page and click on Learn, Tools, Starter Calc.
or
here http://sourdough.com.au/learn/tools/

Hope it helps.
Post any questions and I will answer in the forum so others can see.

Category: 
up
191 users have voted.

Replies

Croc 2006 July 26

i'm bit puzzled with the stage one and stage two? and some other things would love to see a "n00b" version that have legend for each field

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 26

Croc, a lot of people keep their starters in the fridge and it is recommended that they be refreshed over two stages, hence the two stage starter. It is also recommended when changing the ingredients of a starter that it be done in stages also.
As for a "noob" version, just how basic do you want it?

Croc 2006 July 26

[quote="Bill44"]
Croc, a lot of people keep their starters in the fridge and it is recommended that they be refreshed over two stages, hence the two stage starter. It is also recommended when changing the ingredients of a starter that it be done in stages also.
[/quote]

you just made it clear, thanks

since you got two stages done like this maybe you could add final stage for the recipe hydration too?
if not too much trouble

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 26

[quote="Croc"]
[quote="Bill44"]Croc, a lot of people keep their starters in the fridge and it is recommended that they be refreshed over two stages, hence the two stage starter. It is also recommended when changing the ingredients of a starter that it be done in stages also.
[/quote]

you just made it clear, thanks

since you got two stages done like this maybe you could add final stage for the recipe hydration too?
if not too much trouble [/quote]
The calculator for what you want is already in the "Tools" section. If you use it, it will tell you how much starter you need and how to do a two stage starter with a single flour. Once you have the starter quantity you use the mixed starter calculator to do a mixed flour starter.
If you are using mixed flour in your recipe the calculator will give you the amount of flour you need to add, just divide the amount up in the proportions you want.

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 26

[quote="northwestsourdough"]
YES! Thanks Bill, now I just have to figure out how to open an .xls file.
Teresa
[/quote]
Teresa it opens with Microsoft Excel or Open Office.

northwestsourdough's picture
northwestsourdough 2006 July 26

Thanks Bill, I have Microsoft Works and they were able to open it with a download, so I got it. It looks great! Thanks for all the hard work. Now I can't pester you any more about hydration, darn!
Teresa

Already a member? Login