Jeremy

Category: 
up
281 users have voted.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 9

What's the size of this whopper?

I've been thinking about this recently. Pardon the dumb question. How do you guys eat a boule? How do you cut it? For instance, loaves which are elongated have slices which are more or less uniform, so you can make sandwiches. So, for boules, it's individual slices with whatever stuff you eat it with?

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 July 9

Well in France we eat these sort of open sandwiches called tartine, there are so many variations of things you can put on them, pate, ham and butter,you name it we do it up! My Brother is a Miche killer, he eats them till he feels sick, just friut preserves and butter!
This is a 2.2 kilo loaf, I may give it to a Chef friend of mine who I interviewed, his restaurant is great it's called Public!

Jeremy

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 July 9

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/jergra/CIMG0572.jpg[/img]

weight (g) percentage today
First Feeding

Flour 100% 39
water 100% 39
(chef) 50% 20

Total 98

Second feeding
Flour 100% 98
water 100% 98
(chef) 100% 98

Total 295

Dough
levain 33% 295
bread flour 15% 136
wwheat 85% 771

water 84% 758
salt 2% 17

Total flour 100% 907
65.0% hydration here

35.0% leaven percentage

Miche formula based on J Hamelmans formula!

giles 2006 July 9

[quote="TeckPoh"]
I've been thinking about this recently. Pardon the dumb question. How do you guys eat a boule? How do you cut it? For instance, loaves which are elongated have slices which are more or less uniform, so you can make sandwiches. So, for boules, it's individual slices with whatever stuff you eat it with?
[/quote]

For the smaller (~1kg) loaves I've been making sandwiches have worked well. I either use a single slice halved or two adjacent slices. If the loaf is too assymetric halving a single slice won't work so well. Open sandwiches work too, and for mopping up gravy or sauces the shape doesn't matter!

I'm still interested in working out a suitable combination of recipe and dough size to make a nice loaf in a tin, for those times when I want a very regular shape.

Giles

nina 2006 July 9

Ahhh, that is just beautiful!

[quote="Jeremy"]
wwheat 85% 771
[/quote]

Stupid question: is that wholemeal flour?
And can ist be done with a 100% starter instead?

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 July 9

Thanks all,
Yes Nina that is whole wheat as we call it here in the states! Although if you can get a high extraction which is 70 percent milled that is what is originally called for, I cant get my hands on it here in NYC! Whole wheat is fine, it's really delicious!

Jeremy

donyeokl's picture
donyeokl 2006 July 9

Jeremy,

It's a nice looking one there... Have you baked the miche in a smaller size before? Any idea if there will be any big change? I would be struggling to finish the monster with just 3 in the family...

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 July 10

Hi Don,
Yes I have around a kilo less, although at a bakery where I once worked they made 500g and 70g miche pain, and I tried it like a loaf, I don't think it is the same though!

Jeremy

matthew 2006 July 10

[quote="TeckPoh"]

[/quote]

For the boules (especially the large ones) I normally slice down the middle, then put the cut side down on the board and cut my slices down toward the board (effectively a series of "half" slices). I find the adjacent slices normally match close enough for "closed" sandwiches, though the first few slices (and those lovely chewy end bits) normally disappear under a some butter and jam.

One disadvantage is more crumb is exposed to the air if the whole loaf is not consumed. As I'm normally slicing the whole loaf and putting the uneaten slices in the freezer for later in the week it works well for me.

Matthew

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 10

Thanks, Matthew. Noted. Yes, I freeze my bread too. How do you refresh it? I take it out straight from the freezer and pop it into an 180C oven for 30 minutes wrapped in foil, then 15 minutes unwrapped.

Pardon me, Jeremy, for hijacking the thread.

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 July 10

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/jergra/CIMG0582-1.jpg[/img]

Miche Crumb, devoured!

nina 2006 July 10

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I usually use graham flour for wholewheat, I belive that is 100% milled.

That crumb looks incredible! Love the dark color.

[quote="Jeremy"]
Dough
levain 33% 295
bread flour 15% 136
wwheat 85% 771

water 84% 758
salt 2% 17

Total flour 100% 907
65.0% hydration here

35.0% leaven percentage
[/quote]
I'm a bit puzzled about the hydration... if you add a 100% levain to a 84% hydration dough wouldn't that increase the total hydration rather than bring it to 65%?
The reason I'm asking is I want to find out what the total hydration is because I don't have any strong bakers flour. So I'd have to change the recipe if the hydration was too high.

matthew 2006 July 11

[quote="TeckPoh"]
Thanks, Matthew. Noted. Yes, I freeze my bread too. How do you refresh it? I take it out straight from the freezer and pop it into an 180C oven for 30 minutes wrapped in foil, then 15 minutes unwrapped.
[/quote]

I don't normally refresh it. I'll either take a couple of frozen slices, make a sandwhich,wrap in plastic wrap and take to work (it's thawed by lunch) or just pop them in the toaster and lightly toast then top or eat with soup. Sourdough makes the best toast.

Jeremy, fantastic miche! Delicious looking crust and crumb.

Matthew

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2008 April 4
[quote=Jeremy] Dough levain 33% 295 bread flour 15% 136 wwheat 85% 771 water 84% 758 salt 2% 17 Total flour 100% 907 65.0% hydration here[/quote]

????
Panevino 2008 April 4
Thanks Jeremy, you've inspired me to bake a bigger loaf!  Not sure why the onion's there though.  1 kg for now.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 April 4

Tony, you've been holding back on us. This is beautiful!!! I like the picture...looks very rustic...that must be the onion's purpose.

Already a member? Login