Help me Construct a Brown Bread Flour

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh

I'm heartbroken. The Shipton Mill's Organic 3 Malts and Sunflower Brown Flour I brought back from Dan's class is about finished. I just LOVE its flavour. If you know about the flour availability here, you'll realize how little and how pathetic the resources we are stuck with.

Here's the write-up on the flour:

"To produce the richness of this flour, whole grains of wheat, rye and barley are steeped in water before being carefully spread on the malting floor. With time, the malts naturally mature, and when ready the grains are oven-roasted to create their individual flavour and lovely golden colours. Gently blended with sunflower, sesame, linseed and pumpkin seeds, the three malts makes a delicious, well-balanced bread flour, the colour of speckled hens."

Latest bread (made this morning) using the flour.

[img]http://titch.sourdough.net.au/files/2006/07/shiptonwmeal.jpg[/img]

I realise you may not be familiar with the flour, but, I'm desperate. Based on the description above, how would you put together a recipe for a bread like that? With what proportions?

Edit: The title should read 'Help me Construct a Brown Bread'.

Category: 
up
279 users have voted.

Replies

SourDom 2006 July 4

TP,

I have no idea how to create at home the flour that you describe.
But your bread looks fantastic [drool]

dom

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 4

Thanks, Dom and forno. It [i]is[/i] delicious, owing much to the flour.

It's not the flour I want to create. Gosh, all that malting, and, etc... Rather, does anyone have a wholemeal bread recipe with similar ingredients?

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 5

TP, I'm going to have to stop checking out the forum before I have breakfast. That bread of yours makes me drool on my keyboard. [b]Very[/b] nice.

nina 2006 July 5

TP, I have a recipe I think you might be able to use (at least as a base for modification). It's with yeast (using sourdough as flavouring) so you'll have to convert it to sourdough. I've been wanting to have a go at it myself, but wanted to improve my sourdough baking skills a bit more first. And I also have to find a place to buy malt extract.
As I said I haven't baked the bread myself, but I've tasted it at a restaurant and it's heavenly! In fact I only bought the book for this one recipe.
This bread is darker than the one in your post, I guess replacing stout with water would give a lighter color and a taste more like the one you're after. You could also try adding white flour, seeds and maybe leave out the sugar?

Dark bread from Nørrebro Brewhouse (translated from danish by me):
½ l dark beer, preferably stout
½ dl malt extract
100 g "kruska" grain mixture (cracked grains of barley, rye, wheat and oat)
12,5 g fresh yeast
25 g brown sugar (muscovado)
300 g rye flour
25 g salt
1 dl sourdough

Mix beer, malt extract and grains together. Add yeast and sugar. Add rye flour and salt and mix well. Add sourdough and knead well for 10 min. Let the dough rise 3 hours.
The dough is then punched down and split into 5 equal portions. Shape as long flutes and let them proof overnight in the fridge.
Bake the breads for 20 min at 170C.

PS: Sorry for posting an untried recipe but I thought it might be a good inspiration

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 July 5

Nina, you're a doll! Tks for the translated recipe; gosh, it sounds so good. However, we don't have the grain mixture here. What I can do is source for the individual grains and do a mix myself. Next, they don't sell malt extract off the supermarket shelves. I'll have to send out my feelers...

Again, thanks! I'll definitely let you know if I do try it out.

nina 2006 July 5

Malt extract is also hard to come by here. It's sold extremely expensive in health stores - too expensive for my budget. But I was told to look for shops that sell to home brewers, they usually carry different kind of malts.
I found one close by, but the shop is so small it only opens friday and saturday. I do plan to drop by this week (unless I completely forget about it like last week...)

Normbake 2006 July 6

Teck Poh that flour sounds so yummy when you read it out and your bread looks so nice yummmmmy
Nina thanks for the recipe I will leave the yeast out and use sourdough.

I've had a bag of Triticale(wheat rye) rolled flakes to try out in a dough.

Gosh this is a fantastic forum I've gained heaps of knowlege.
Thanks Graham and everyone

Normbake

Already a member? Login