Perseverance Pays Off.

Bill44's picture
Bill44

SWMBO intended to cook Coq au Vin for tea tonight and wanted to have some nice bread with it, so once again I tried for a couple of the mini B's.
I have in the past couple of days tried Teresa's recipe, for the second time, with about 90% success, but didn't post any pics. So today I had another go at Don's Vienna recipe, with a higher baking temperature and instead of 200g of bakers flour I went for 100g bakers (11.5% prot.) and 100g plain (10% prot.).

Oh yes, I am 99% pleased. The crust is crunchy, and the crumb, while not full of big holes, is as soft as silk. Overall a great sour taste too.
Next time I will proof maybe 15-20 minutes longer and see what happens.

I think I've finally found the baguette recipe I've been looking for.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4079-1/new_half+001.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4081-1/new_half+003.jpg[/img]

Category: 
up
257 users have voted.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 June 24

Happy for you, Bill! And, I'm sure you'll get an extra helping of the Coq Au Vin from equally happy SWMBO. So, we can safely conclude that plain flour promotes a softer crumb?

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 June 24

Thanks TP. Yes, I have found that the addition of some lower protein flour softens the crumb. I made mention about it in a post somewhere.
For some time now with my standard white loaves I have been adding 17% of the total flour weight (that's including the flour in the starter) as 10% protein plain flour, and there is a noticeable softening of the crumb, even the crust is softer but still crunchy.
In the case of the mini B's the plain flour is 1/3 of the total, that may be why I have smaller holes than usual.

chembake 2006 June 26

[quote]
For some time now with my standard white loaves I have been adding 17% of the total flour weight (that's including the flour in the starter) as 10% protein plain flour, and there is a noticeable softening of the crumb, even the crust is softer but still crunchy.
[/quote]

Bill the replacement of part of ther bread flour with lower protein flour will usually result in softer crust and finer crumb.

If other people find that the crumb structure tends to become iiregular with such treatment its because the resulting flour grist have weaker gas cells resulting that many gass bubbles enlarged during fermentation will merge and reunite( coalesce) to a bigger cells..

Already a member? Login