Hi From Belgium!

Bart's picture
Bart
I listened to the podcast that Jeremy did with Graham and decided to become a member of this interesting community.  My name is Bart, I live in Belgium and am a home baker since last summer.  I went to culinary school for baker but started working in a chocolate factory  16 years ago and still work there.  Recently I worked a second job in a bakery but I had to leave there because the boss was not treating me right.  I love bread and have a blog.  I am interested in wild yeast and last months have been a journey in the wonder world of natural leavening.  Over here in Belgium I know only a couple bakeries who use sourdough.  Most bakers might use powdered sourdough they get from large bakery supplie companies.  Personally I rather not use commercial products to bake at home, I have tried powdered sourdough but it is not the same as using the real deal.  When I see the pics on this site I wish I could work in one of the many awesome bakeries that produce these fantastic breads.   But I guess that will be a dream.  Meanwhile I keep on doing my best producing good breads @ home.  I love it!
Bart
Category: 
up
286 users have voted.

Replies

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2008 April 16
Welcome Bart,
I am pleased you found this site through my interview with Graham, listen to the other bakers, cooks, etc....spread the word!
You will find we are enthusiastic and I even found a source for Desem sourdough from Teresa of Northewestsourdough, right here!

Make and show your breads, we love pictures!
Bart's picture
Bart 2008 April 16
Thanks for the welcome! It is nice to meet you guys too.
Btw my avatar is the barm bread by Dan Lepard, check my blog if you want
to see the large format.
PS : working in a chocolate factory is cool, I just wish I could stop eating
so much chocolate at my work :-)

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 April 16
[quote=Bart]
PS : working in a chocolate factory is cool, I just wish I could stop eating
so much chocolate at my work :-)

[/quote]

I don't work in a chocolate factory and I eat a lot of it....and these are not necessarily Belgium choc. I'll be in chocolate heaven if I worked in one. Sigh.

Peeked at your blog. You make very nice breads.
gul_dekar 2008 April 17
Hi Bart,

I actually check your blog quite often because the bread you bake looks really great! Left a comment asking where you got your bannetons actually. I'm currently in the Netherlands so I'm pretty close by. Glad to see you here!
Tess 2010 March 31

Hi Bart:

I just moved from US to Beglium (Gent area).  Sourdough was my favorate, but now I'm really having a hard time finding one.  In our local bakeries, the usual ones are the wit, bruin, 7(10) granen, melk, volkoren, suiker, rozijnen .... from what I understand, the bruin one is rye based, thus must be leavened by lactobacillus, but it does not really tast like it is.  Help!  Do you know where can I find sourdough in Belgium?  Thanks!

Bart's picture
Bart 2010 April 1

[quote=Tess]

Hi Bart:

I just moved from US to Beglium (Gent area).  Sourdough was my favorate, but now I'm really having a hard time finding one.  In our local bakeries, the usual ones are the wit, bruin, 7(10) granen, melk, volkoren, suiker, rozijnen .... from what I understand, the bruin one is rye based, thus must be leavened by lactobacillus, but it does not really tast like it is.  Help!  Do you know where can I find sourdough in Belgium?  Thanks!

[/quote]

Hi Tess,

well, you could try to go to a store called "Bio Planet" in Gent :

www.bioplanet.be

Drongensesteenweg 134
9000 Gent

There you can purchase several breads als sourdough bread.  Also I think that most of the 'bruin' bread not necessarily is made with sourdough, it might also be made with yeast, even if it contains rye.

In Brussels there is a bakery that is called 'Boulangery Paul' 

Boulangerie Paul

3 - 5 Rue des Fripiers

1000 Brussel

Only problem there is that it is super expensive! I once purchased a loaf there and it costed 5 EURO!

That is ridiculous, it tasted like the sourdough I bake at home.  

You should find more bakers in Gent I think that make sourdough bread.  I guess in the city center of Gent there is this bakery/tea room, but I cannot seem to remember the name, been there and ate there, but the name escapes me... It is not 'Pain Cotidien' but is very close to there : http://www.lepainquotidien.com/ check locations : Gent.

Gent 

Kalandeberg 10 

B-9000 Gent 

You might find sourdough in pain cotidien as well, but like I mentioned, there is this other place that I cannot remember.

Please keep me updated that would be cool.  Feel free to email me  if you need more info @ bart DOT van DOT mulders AT

hotmail Dot com.  

Already a member? Login