Using a Thermometer

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh

Lifted from Danubian's post-poll analysis. Was thinking it would make a good thread.

[quote=Danubian]

Using a thermometer is often considered trivial or unnecessary to adding any real value to the process, but IMHO this is far from true. While I use it constantly; its main role for me is to eliminate a variable, confirm a state, or exact control on the fermentation which influences the process and the final result.

Micro-organisms, like yeasts and bacteria are temp sensitive; generally in a warmer dough environment they are more active and conversely in a cooler dough less active. Of course, enzymes, which micro-organisms are dependent on, are also influenced by temperature. Not only are they, micro-organisms, affected wholesale but different temp ranges encourage different groups; yeasts, homofermentative or heterofermentative lactics. This has a marked effect on the flavour and aroma of your bread. But further, wheat gluten character is also profoundly affected by temperature. This means that good gluten development may be difficult to achieve at higher temps, and at low temps a rubbery over stable gluten may be resultant.

So what does all this mean? One thing it doesn't mean; that you can't make good bread without a thermometer, you can!

However, it may be by accident rather than design. It makes it difficult to repeat it consistently in differing climate and environmental conditions which are apparent especially during those transitional times from one season to the next.

Try using a thermometer to assist you to keep to fermentation temps and times, giving you control over the fermentation process, then see if your bread volume is improved, or the aroma character changed. You might be pleasantly surprised, especially if you find you can repeat it in any kitchen and in any season.[/quote]

My kitchen's ambient temperature is from 25 deg C to 30 deg C the whole year round. I'm going to jab in the thermometer the next few times I bake. But I reckon I don't have to keep on doing it since there's hardly going to be any change?

What thermometer do you use? I use one with a detachable sensing probe. Love it. But I really really dig Boris' antique thermometers.

Category: 
up
207 users have voted.

Replies

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 April 1
is perhaps an appropriate word for an 'artisan' baking site, and since this thermometer is reasonably old and large really suits big doughs in troughs!

[quote=TeckPoh]My kitchen's ambient temperature is from 25 deg C to 30 deg C the whole year round. I'm going to jab in the thermometer the next few times I bake. But I reckon I don't have to keep on doing it since there's hardly going to be any change?

What thermometer do you use? I use one with a detachable sensing probe.[/quote]

If there's little change in your kitchen ambien temp you'll be able to settle on a workable dough temp and probably only need to use your thermometer intermittently. However, if you desire a specific temp you can use the thermometer to determine the appropriate water temp that will yield a finished dough temp (FDT) you desire to start with. Once you've done this few times you may not need to jab every time. But even if only used for this reason, you've used it correctly and assumed control of your process. So next time you see temps in sourdough leaven & bread dough formulas you can follow to suit, just what the doctor orders!!
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 April 1

I'm actually looking forward to this 'new' baking-by-temperature method. It's like bringing my bread-baking up to another level. Cool. (Or hot!).
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 April 1
[quote=Danubian]is perhaps an appropriate word for an 'artisan' baking site, and since this thermometer is reasonably old and large really suits big doughs in troughs!

[/quote]

Pronounced 'trow' you say? I always thought it was 'truff'. As usual, the english language boggles.
Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 April 1
that's correct, but in reference to a dough vessel it's pronounced "trow". Yes, English, indeed.

Already a member? Login