Caught a Pale Bug....

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh
:O :?

Haven't happened to me in a long while. I feel a bit strange....numb. Why did the crust of my rolls refuse to caramelise?

Here are the figures:

The starter was 250g water, 250g organic unbleached bread flour 11.7% protein built over 2 days with 6 refreshments ( 5 three-hourly, put into the fridge overnight...was too late to bake...next morning it doubled in volume in 3.5 hours after another feed).

Flour is 60% plain unbleached with the balance being wholemeal plus 3 tablespoons Bob Red Mill's cornflour said to be made from whole grain corn and 2 tablespoons of milk powder.

Oil consists of 25g melted unsalted butter and 50g EVOO.

Oh...and I worked in 300g of plumped up sultanas as I did the turn and folds.

My brain's a bit busy right now... Thoughts....

1. I sprayed the rolls before they entered the oven. I had a shallow tray of hot water at the bottom.
2. Bulk fermented for 4 hours with 3 fold and turns. Proved 1.5 hours. Ambient temp 30 deg C.
3. Is the proportion of starter too high that the beasties ate up all the sugar?
4. I must have overproved the dough but it did spring in the first 10 mins in the 200 deg C oven.
5. It turned ever so slightly golden, then froze. The rolls which were supposed to be out of the oven in 25 mins, I left in for another 15 hoping for more colour, but nope, it wasn't cooperating.
5. Bread is not gluey (will post a pic tomorrow morning if there's a request but I'm pretty embarassed over the whole thing). A saving grace, hubby (critic #1) says the bread is great but he commented on the paleness. I agree the bread's not too bad. There's a hint of sourness which lingers and the crumb is of medium softness with some chew.

Help. :(
Category: 
up
163 users have voted.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 February 28
....And a big relief!!!!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with my bread! :)

This morning, hubby suggested popping the rolls into the oven again. Guess what? The light in the oven was on but the light indicating the heater wasn't, and there...was...no...heat. I reckon it must have fused some time into 13 mins or so.

I'm rolling on the floor with laughter. Now all of you know what a bumbling homebaker I am! Off to call the techie......

Do carry on....
Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 February 28
Glad to help.

If you wish to further decline the acid, increase the absorption to 300% in the 1st and 2nd stage, then 200% in stage 3, finishing off with 180% in stage 4. Keep them all at 3 hours and the dough the same as before.

TP, you're not the first or last to have the oven default with you not notice. [img]http://goldismoney.info/forums/images/smilies/tongue_ma.gif[/img]

I remember once as an apprentice I injected steam into the double rack oven of 120 baguettes then walked away to carry on with more dough and moulding. As the buzzer rang to signal the baking time of 30 minutes was up I looked across and over to the oven window but was surprised to see the baguettes were still white. My puzzlement turned to horror when I saw the steam tap handle still in the open position! I jumped right over to turn it off but noticed a slight dampness around the door as you may expect. But when I opened the door for the steam to be released my feet were swamped by a tsunami wave of steaming hot water. The volume of the water was such a huge amount that it almost covered the entire bakery floor in a couple of inches! Those 120 baguettes took another hour and half to bake off, which tampered with our schedule as there were another 860 more to go. The upshot of the incident was a new rule instituted to never take your hand off the cock until the 8 seconds of steam was over. In your case the bedlam was equipment fault, mine was self inflicted.  [img]http://goldismoney.info/forums/images/smilies/confused_ma.gif[/img]

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 February 28
Phew!

I hope you were wearing industrial boots! I can't begin to imagine the hazards you guys are exposed to.

Thanks for the tips. Will give it another go next week. Meantime, once my oven is fixed (hopefully tomorrow), I shall finish off baking my parbaked rolls.

Already a member? Login