Croc goes to school

Croc

well forum is still out of whack but i guess it wont harm to make few posts so if someone new visits they wont think it is dead place.

Some of you might remember that i want to open small bakery one day when i move far away from city which i'm sick of. Well i decided to learn everything the right way in regards to food safty, production process and so on.

I figure there is a lot i could learn at tafe and have truly own bakery and not just owning one and since my wife is back to work now i signed up for  Retail Baking Combined Certificate I and III at holmesglen tafe.

i'm bit worry about going back to school at 34 and being a odd one out there but the holmesglen have perfect setup for me and i hear that those days there is lots of people at different ages taking part in many courses.

all is done there on spot, they have real bakery build especially for their bakery courses so i don't have to seek external apprenticeship position and because of that it is accelerated and done withing a year and not 3 which i could not do, year i can spare but 3 its not possible for me.

it will be go go go from start till end since its is done in 1year but i prefer this way.

Category: 
up
292 users have voted.

Replies

Panevino 2008 January 29

Good luck Croc in your new venture.  I went to cooking school at about your age and while there were many younger folks, quite a few of the students were older and looking for a new life.  As it turned out, they were the better students and most excelled after, in the real world.  Plus, it was a great deal of fun!!Cheers,Tony

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 January 29

You'll be fine and the discipline of studying will do you good!
It'll be a good exercise to get some background in baking even though it'll be conventional baking in the main. However, what you do learn you'll be able to apply to baking artisan and sourdough.

Good luck

Croc 2008 January 29

thanks all for kind words
they now have quite extended artisan/sourdough block included but as you said there are many other things that will be good to master.
i remember couple of years ago there was nothing on time table in regards to artisan/sourdough.
btw can anyone explain to me what is that cert I and III, i never done schooling in australia and it is very different system, is there cert II in baking?  also is there any other course i should consider or is this all i should do? is retail baking combined cert III the highest option or is there IV or V or whatever, i can't seem to find anything above cert III in baking.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 January 29

How about a stint in a bakery out in the real world? Can you hack it? I know you said the school has a bakery...but still, it may not be 'real' enough. Bakery hours are tough (uh...not a problem for you, I should think)...there are a host of other issues, whether you are a baker or a bakery owner. I'm not trying to turn you off, rather you have all my blessings. But, I hope you go into this without wearing  rose-tinted spectacles. When you do up your bakery's menu, I volunteer to proof-read for you....FREE.

Croc 2008 January 30

[quote=TeckPoh]How about a stint in a bakery out in the real world? Can you hack it? I know you said the school has a bakery...but still, it may not be 'real' enough. Bakery hours are tough (uh...not a problem for you, I should think)...there are a host of other issues, whether you are a baker or a bakery owner. I'm not trying to turn you off, rather you have all my blessings. But, I hope you go into this without wearing  rose-tinted spectacles.

When you do up your bakery's menu, I volunteer to proof-read for you....FREE.
[/quote]

from what i seen and heard it is new and very real bakery, they only finished building it 2 years ago or something like that.

sure hours wont be real but this isn't a problem for me as you know :)

as for rose-tinted spectacles if i had one i would open bakery without doing any courses :D

i can spel jast write so ther is no nid to pruve-red it ;)

doughman 2008 January 29

Best of luck to you Croc!  I was at your age when I went to baking school, and now I am in my 40s, and I am baking P/T for a bakery near my area.  I am sure you will enjoy the school.  Make sure to take good notes.  If there are any hands-on demonstrations, you might want to use a video camera to capture the techniques they have to offer.  Last month I went back to my baking school for a visit, and I saw 4 students taking a sourdough baking class....I can certainly say that all of the 4 students were at least in their early 50s.  Don´t let age be a discouragement.  If you have the inner drive to bake and learn, that´s good enough!

Graham's picture
Graham 2008 January 29

Same from me Croc. Holmesglen TAFE have certainly been gearing up their artisan facilities. You will have fun and probably be an inspiration to many younger bakers who thought they were just going to learn a 'trade'. Doughman's video idea sounds brilliant but it will take a progressive instructor and several releases to make it happen. There's space hear if it does.

Croc 2008 January 30

[quote=Graham]Same from me Croc. Holmesglen TAFE have certainly been gearing up their artisan facilities. You will have fun and probably be an inspiration to many younger bakers who thought they were just going to learn a 'trade'. Doughman's video idea sounds brilliant but it will take a progressive instructor and several releases to make it happen. There's space hear if it does.[/quote]

but would they let me use camera ?

Graham's picture
Graham 2008 January 30

[quote=croc]

but would they let me use camera ?
[/quote]Definitely ask the school about their policy. I expect that most TAFE's are open to taking
photos for personal use, providing anyone appearing in the images is 18 or over and gives their consent. But it would depend on the individual school and the teaching preferences of the instructor.Many schools encourage students to build a photographic portfolio of their work, which you can show as you wish and use commercially to promote your skills. Some of your photos may show your instructor and/or fellow students, in which case you will need to have a level of consent to take and show those photos. The school needs to ensure that anyone in their care has consented to the photography. Your enrollment form might already include some small print that takes care of this. There should be an officer at the school who can help to clarify how people (or at least peoples faces!) can be included in your photos. Your instructor will probably be able to help you to meet the right people and get approval.Taking video of an instructor demonstrating a technique to students requires consent from everyone present as well as the school.Good luck!

Croc 2008 January 30

anyone got idea where in melbourne i can find kitchen uniform or whatever you call it shop?
chef line that bookstore have on offer is not sized for real man :)

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 January 30

When you get there on enrolment day, you should be given an information pack which I expect will give you an address where you can get all the tools and unifrom needed to participate in the relevant course.
Just ask and I'm sure you'll be given assistance, but more likely there is a system in place already that will supply all that info.

Croc 2008 January 30

you right but as i said they only have midget sizes :)
i'm 194cm toll and not what you would call light....

Graham's picture
Graham 2008 January 30

I am sending you an Artisan Baker Baker's Cap courtesy of this site. They suit a medium to large size head. (...croc, have you given me your postal address before?)

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 January 30

[quote=croc]

i'm 194cm toll and not what you would call light....[/quote]perhaps you should see about a tailor?!

Croc 2008 February 15

no joy with pictures, baker wouldn't mind by what i seen but i'm not taking my DSLR there and don't really see taking tripod and video cam in there as well as it would be over the top i think.

it seem my group got really good two teachers, one is older guy with 35 years experience as baker and other one is cook that teaches/work at the same TAFE but he love baking so he is part teacher part student trying to pickup typical retail baking skills while sharing his knownladge about artisan breads, like today he made ciabattas for himself and show/explained to people how its done, difference in process and so on.

it was yeasted ciabatta but low yeast as it was very slow rise, it was proofing for good 4-5 hours.

he was doing our typical folding every hour so i wouldn't be surpised if he lurkes around here or on DL forums.

no improver in his ciabatta and made few small ones with great olives plus olive oil and flakes of salt on top which then we all shared.

in short so far so good :)

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 February 15
....and I thought this 'tough' baking life is going to help you lose some lbs. Pretty tough, eh, surrounded by all that delicious bread? And, you'd want to practice what you learned in school, right?
Croc 2008 February 15

i wont be eating too much bread during my study because big part of it is what you see in typical modern bakeries which i'm not big fan of it, i only just started and already have bread improver aftertaste and i can't stand this poison.

as for tough, heh, this is some bakery with style, latest gear and all in very well airconditioned area :)

when i went out on break from "hot" bakery in to 27C warm and sunny my first words were: "so bloody hot outside"  :D

Croc 2008 February 18

2nd day confirms that our old baker is going to show us some nice tricks, he is strong believer that there is "right way" and then there is "his way" which is even better so he is showing us two or even more ways to do something.

hope this isn't confusing other students but i myself love it, the more informations i can soak in the better.

here is my bread stick :)

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 February 19

What are the dimensions of that handsome stick? It looks like it was baked in a tin.

Glad to hear you're having a good soaking time.
Croc 2008 February 19

it is (was, yum...) normal size stick, maybe little bit on midium side lengh wise, i'm big fan of long cut and flour topping on sticks from now on.

stick was great but you should see crusty long rolls we made, those were with 80% flour and 20% semolina, low yeast, no improver and no soy flour, i bet those would be great converted to sour dough but till i get new oven i can't try at home :(

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 February 21
[quote=TeckPoh]when I keep requesting pleading for more pix and info.
[/quote]

Of forums on the internet! Keep on experiencing class with Croc...

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 February 21

It's not only this thread....I feel like I'm sitting at the feet of gurus when I read all the bread talk here, thanks to the generous contribution from y'all.
Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 February 21
[quote=TeckPoh]
It's not only this thread....I feel like I'm sitting at the feet of gurus when I read all the bread talk here, thanks to the generous contribution from y'all.
[/quote]

say you should change your online moniker to "Grasshopper"?! LOL

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 February 22
[quote=TeckPoh]
Yes, master.

....then we'll have a Homebaker who's a Grasshopper who looks like a Pig.

*Sproink!!*
[/quote]

LOL .... You're so funny, TP
Croc 2008 February 26

was on the phone with my parents yesterday and been talking about my course when my father said he will send me my grandfather's diploma, he was big shot baker, cake maker, etc... its old school diploma with picture and all nice and pretty so when one day i open my bakery i can hang it on the wall.

there must be something in my blood that attracts me to baking.

while i was at it i told my father off because this is first time i heard about it, my grandfather died when i was 1yo so i never knew him but i would think it is something you tell your kids about over the years.

told him i want my grandfather recipe books but considering this is so many years since his death there is very little hope :(

oh well, hope you all enjoyed this little story.

btw not sure if possible yet or at all with this forum software but maybe someone could move this thread to open talk section or something?

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 February 26

Grandpapa would hv been proud that his grandson is following his footsteps. Don't lose hope! His recipes could be stashed in some chest...waiting to be given the breath of life.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 February 26
you're ONE with the forum, so much so, that any time of day, when things need fixing, you can sense it and whoooosh!...you're here. That was quick indeed!

Already a member? Login