Trade Marks

Danubian's picture
Danubian

Has the Artisan Bakers Association (ABA) decided to register its name as a Trade Mark, or is  another group expected to take possession of this name?Yes, I did read the article posted a few months ago about the acronym ABA being used by another association with no recourse to Artisan Baker Association protect the 'mark'.

Category: 
up
185 users have voted.

Replies

Graham's picture
Graham 2008 January 27

Hi Danubian,The Artisan Baker Association already own ABA as a common law trademark. We have provided a "Notice of Opposition" to the trademarks office, IP Australia, to prevent the other party (BMIAA) from registering "ABA" as a component of their trademark. The BMIAA have been notified of our position, and should now stop using "ABA" in the market place.There are a multitude of reasons why BMIAA should not be using "ABA" to signify "Australian Baking Associations". I do not want to preempt legal proceedings but will keep you informed as appropriate. What I can say is that BMIAA (the Bread Manufacturers Industry Association of Australia) have indicated a close working relationship with Media Plus (publishers of the baking and fried chicken magazine, Leading Edge). Leading Edge are fully aware of our existing usage of "ABA".Users of this website should continue to shout ABA from the roof tops as a quality mark of the Artisan Baker Association. We are having a huge impact on the quality of baking worldwide. It had to be expected that some industry players would feel threatened by a baking movement that refuses to submit to industry control.Graham- please invite me fishing next time! -

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 January 27

[quote=Graham]Hi Danubian,The Artisan Baker Association already own ABA as a common law trademark.[/quote]Thanks for your reply, Graham.Just to get this clear, The Artisan Bakers Association has "ABA" as an IP Australia, registered trademark, prior to the BMIAA's pending mark "ABA"? Or is the Artisan Bakers Association claim to "ABA" based soley on 'usage' but not 'registration'? [quote]- please invite me fishing next time! -[/quote]Ok, when you get to Sydney we'll see if we can work something out for next time.

Graham's picture
Graham 2008 January 28

Danubian I am itching to discuss this further here in detail, but my sensible side is saying that the specifics of this issue should remain an internal discussion. I can say (sensible side....sensible side...) that Artisan Baker Association does have an "ABA" trademark pending with IP Australia, and that our "ABA" trademark has an earlier priority date than BMIAA's priority date.
Graham

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 January 28

[quote=Graham]Danubian I am itching to discuss this further here in detail, but my sensible side is saying that the specifics of this issue should remain an internal discussion. I can say (sensible side....sensible side...) that Artisan Baker Association does have an "ABA" trademark pending with IP Australia, and that our "ABA" trademark has an earlier priority date than BMIAA's priority date.
Graham[/quote]Ok, when the legal tangles are over with I'd be interested in knowing the history of the whole affair, either here or in private, if you're willing. However, registration dates with IP Australia are usually crittical; so far as that goes its better than nothing. I hope The Artisan Bakers Association have good fortune in the resolution of this trade mark issue. Good luck.

Already a member? Login