Teff starter

ckholland

I have a question about a 'starter' I have in my refrigerator. I made this before I even started learning about making starters, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I started with a recipe for 'faux' injera (without teff, as I didn't have any at the time). It was basically water, flour and baking soda that I left to sit for a day before cooking my first batch of injera. I retained some of it and, when I found teff, started feeding it. I've had it now for a few weeks, and have been feeding it periodically. It's definitely alive and smells fine (yeasty), has a slightly sour taste and is a bit grainy in texture. I'm inclined to keep it, because I suspect I may inadvertently have done the right thing, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure exactly how I would then turn this into real injera. Any ideas for me? 

up
295 users have voted.

Replies

HopesHope 2011 March 20

I too have an Injera recipe that I've wanted to add sourdough too, but I haven't tried yet.  

When I look at a recipe that I want to add sourdough to, I first look at the liquid, and I match the amount of liquid to the amount of sourdough starter.   Since Injera is a liquid batter that will be fried or cooked on top of the stove it may not affect the amount of flour.  

My Injera Recipe calls for 1 cup water, 1 cup flour so I would add 1 cup sourdough starter.

I'm not a professional baker, I'm a home cook, but the above works for me.   Perhaps others with more experience will offer their wisdom as well.

Already a member? Login