Saving a firm starter?

Reinbag
This is kind of ridiculous. I made way too much of a firm starter, meaning I added bread flour and water to my regular rye sourdough and I don't have nearly enough extra flour at the moment to make more loaves (I think i would need another 20-30 cups worth).
Has anyone had luck storing their firm starter. Would there be any life left in it? Can you freeze it? I know you can do these things with your barm, but what about when you've basically made a pre-ferment out of it already?
Oh yeah, and I'm new to the forums. Happy to be here although feeling kinda dumb right now.
up
241 users have voted.

Replies

Johnny's picture
Johnny 2009 September 13
Welcome Reinbag :)Sorry but I have no idea about freezing. I have left my starter for up to 2 weeks in the fridge and it recovered ok after 3-4 refreshes. I have read somewhere that you can freeze it but then again I have also read on another thread advice against freezing. I guess you might have to experiment with some in the freezer.If you decide to freeze some let us know how you go trying to revive it.cheers,Johnny
Millciti's picture
Millciti 2009 September 14

So how much starter do you have exactly?  Can you give us a grams or cups estimate.  You could buy a bunch of flour and make up dough for pizza.  It works pretty well for freezing.  Pancakes a good way to use a few cups... So how big of a mistake did you make?

Terri

ianmartin 2009 September 15
I used to keep some "firm" rye dough starter in the freezer in case I lost the one in use day to day.I would keep it for several months before defrosting and using it in a dough (and then placing a new bit of starter in the freezer) Wrap it tightly in plastic, the firmer the better - hope this helpsIan 

Already a member? Login